Now that the busy summer season is winding down, we can get back to the good stuff. Comics, of course. Let’s talk about the new stuff that is slated for September release. Pack those lunches and stuff those backpacks, ship the kids off to school. It’s time for you to settle down for a good read or two.
• Spider-Man #1 (Marvel Comics) — Filmmaker J.J. Abrams, known most recently for his Star Wars films, makes his Marvel comic book debut on Sept. 18 with Spider-Man #1. This will be a 5-issue long mini-series revolving around a brand-new villain named Cadaverous. Peter Parker and Mary Jane will be featured dealing with whatever chaos this new villain will dole out.
• Gotham City Monsters #1 (DC Comics) — A huge event in the DC Universe is coming to an end and some of our familiar heroes and villains are changing. Frankenstein and a group of other monsters are tasked with protecting a world that fears them.
• Battlepug #1 (Image Comics) — This webcomic makes its print comic debut on Sept. 4. It features a hero known as The Warrior and his trusty steed, a giant oversized Pug. After a few years off, Battlepug returns with a whole new storyline featuring a new threat for this unlikely duo.
• Napoleon Dynamite #1 (IDW Publishing) — This is the same Napoleon Dynamite that you are thinking of. What better way to revisit a cult classic than in comic book form? This 4-issue mini-series stars Napoleon and Deb. They have started their senior year of high school, with Pedro as Student Body President. A fellow student accuses Pedro of cheating in the election, so the friends must work together to figure out a way to clear Pedro of the accusations. Will Pedro keep his position? Did Tina ever get her dinner? Did that one kid ever get his own tots? Pick up issue #1 on September 11th to find out, gosh!
• Chainsaw Reindeer One Shot (Action Lab) — I thought it would be fun to include a stand-alone story that can be enjoyed in just one issue. Chainsaw Reindeer is a darker take on Santa’s reindeer. The poorly treated creature has snapped after suffering abuse from Santa. He isn’t going to take it anymore and grabs a chainsaw, sparking a murderous rampage across the globe. Chainsaw Reindeer gallops onto shelves on Sept. 11.
• Little Jackie Lantern (IDW Publishing) — Lastly, I will give you a kid’s pick to get your little ones excited for the upcoming Halloween season. This graphic novel is also released on Sept. 11. This empowering book tells the story of Little Jackie finding his courage and trying to be brave enough to celebrate the spooky but fun holiday with his friends.
Amy Berent and her husband, Jay, are the co-owners of the Pulp 716 comic shops in North Tonawanda and Lockport and she writes a monthly comic book column. She can be reached by email at email@example.com.