A Thursday morning fire did extensive damage to the Saigon Bangkok restaurant on Niagara Falls Boulevard.

Kenilworth Volunteer Fire Department Chief Thomas Rider said his people were dispatched at 1:40 a.m. for multiple reports of smoke coming from the building. When firefighters arrived, they entered the building through heavy smoke to make sure no one was inside.

“There was no one in the building, but there was the possibility someone was because there was a car parked outside,” Rider said. “But it turned out that employee was elsewhere.”

In addition to Kenilworth, Brighton, Kenmore and Elmwood companies responded and assisted in battling the blaze. The fire was contained in a store room, but Rider said there was extensive heat and smoke damage to the rest of the building valued at $250,000. The fire was knocked down within the hour but the investigation didn’t end until 5 a.m., Rider said.

“It’s going to come down to some rags and linens that were put into a plastic container,” Rider said. “They were hot and they spontaneously combusted in the bucket.”

The fire then spread to the shelves in the storage area.

Recommended for you