Niagara FallsFire Department
Calls for service
For the period of Sept. 22 to 28 the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 103 calls.
n FIRE: At 10:37 p.m. Sept. 23, fire units were alerted to an alarm activation in a commercial structure on O’Laughlin Drive. On arrival, firefighters also found that smoke was present in the structure and set out to determine the source. After a period of time, firefighters were able to determine that the source of the smoke was related to a burned-out motor on the heating and ventilation system. There was no structural damage to the building and fire damage was contained to the HVAC system.
n FIRE: Firefighters were dispatched to a report of a possible structure fire in the 600 block of Fourth Street at 2:30 a.m. Monday. At the intersection of Fourth and Main streets. Engine 4 began to encounter smoke conditions and determined the source to be a dwelling unit in the reported block. Firefighters were met with large amounts of smoke and had some difficulty locating the exact source of the blaze. The early morning hour presented the real possibility of endangered occupants and firefighters aggressively ventilated the structure to remove the smoke and toxic gasses that were present. Quick deployment of hoselines prevented significant structural damage to the building but because of the material involved and the closed up condition of the building, smoke damage was extensive. The fire is believed to have originated on the first floor and the exact cause is currently under investigation.
n FIRE: At 1:43 a.m. Thursday, fire units were dispatched to an alarm activation in an occupied hotel in the 200 block of Rainbow Boulevard. Arriving firefighter’s encountered heavy smoke in the structure and numerous alarms had been activated. Smoke was rapidly beginning to fill the structure which presented a real challenge to firefighters. The source of the smoke appeared to be in the lower level of the hotel but the smoke was traveling to upper areas, placing the occupants in significant danger. Clothing and bed linen left in the dryers had apparently been left unattended and ignited. The fire was quickly extinguished and actual fire damage was confined to the dryer. It was well over an hour before all of the smoke was removed and the building declared safe for occupancy.
n NOTICE: Cooler weather is upon us and the Niagara Falls Fire Department encourages all residents to have their heating systems inspected by a qualified contractor. Every year hundreds of Americans needlessly die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Symptoms of exposure to Carbon Monoxide includes dizziness, fatigue, and nausea and is often is confused with the flu. Carbon Monoxide gas is odorless and colorless and is produced by incomplete combustion. Defective flues or chimneys, faulty appliances, and animals that have constructed nests in vent pipes are common problems that may lead to a build — up of Carbon Monoxide in a home. State law requires a Carbon Monoxide detector in each dwelling. If your detector does activate residents are encouraged to call the Fire Department for assistance with the problem.
Niagara FallsFire Department
This Week's Circulars
- Michael Brown beyond Love Canal
- Guns, drugs seized during Pierce Avenue raid
- New life for Rainbow Mall
- Falls man pleads in fatal crash
- State AG suing Niagara-Wheatfield over lack of response to sexual assault and bullying incidents
- Youngstown man killed in Lewiston crash
- Law enforcement task force goes looking for violent felony fugitives in the Falls
- Falls woman admits thefts from U.S. Postal Service
- Bradberry, Gayle, Lightfoot reunite for 716-585 Classic
- Big plans for downtown