Speaking from a hospital bed, Niagara Falls resident Jaquinda Coleman vowed Thursday to file a formal complaint against the city’s Police Department over what she believes was an excessive use of force against her while she was being placed under arrest.

Coleman, 31, is expected to remain at Erie County Medical Center for at least another week while recovering from a fractured skull and other injuries she sustained during an incident Sunday involving police officers who were responding to a domestic violence report at Monteagle Ridge.

Police arrived at the scene shortly after 8:15 p.m. to investigate a report of a man hitting a pregnant woman. Coleman was not a party in the domestic violence incident, but was arrested by police after she reportedly obstructed the investigation.

She became angry when it appeared police were not going to charge the man, and an argument with one of the officers ensued. After accusing the police of racism, she refused an officer’s orders to leave the area and was pepper-sprayed in the face and struck in the head by a metal flashlight, which cracked her skull.

How the altercation went down is under debate.

According to the police report, Coleman became combative with the officer during the argument and lunged at him, at which time the officer sprayed her with pepper spray. The officer said she continued forward and appeared to be trying to tackle him around his waist. Afraid of being taken to the ground, the officer said he retrieved his flashlight from his gun belt and defended himself by striking Coleman on the top of her head.

Coleman went crashing to the ground after the blow and was handcuffed before being placed in a patrol car. The officer said he then called for an ambulance and a police supervisor to the scene.

Coleman was taken to ECMC where it was later determined she had a fractured skull. Her account of the arrest differs greatly from the officer’s.

She admits to making the racist accusation and refusing to leave the area, but said she never lunged at the officer. Instead, she says he became enraged after she made some additional comments about not believing in the police system.

“I wasn’t trying to go to jail, I was just speaking,” Coleman said Thursday in a telephone interview from her hospital room. “He then came up and started macing me and out of nowhere I got hit with something hard and I just went down to the ground.”

Coleman added, “what logic is there to charge a police officer who has a baton, gun and pepper spray? That’s a losing battle.”

Coleman was charged with second-degree obstructing governmental administration and disorderly conduct.

Doctors are keeping Coleman at ECMC for at least another week to monitor her condition. She may have to undergo a lumbar tap, she said.

Once sent home, she plans on immediately filing a complaint of police brutality against the arresting officer.

Two of the officer’s supervisors have already investigated the arrest and deemed no unnecessary use of force was used. However, police Superintendent John Chella said he’s willing to meet with Coleman and take her complaint personally.