Center Street was packed on Saturday afternoon for the annual Lewiston Art Fest. Now in its 53rd year, the popular summer event continues to be a major draw for the village.
The crowds will be back Sunday as the it continues from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., showcasing the work of more than 175 professional (with a third of them new, according to organizers) and student artists from 13 states as far away as Florida and Texas.
Saturday's KeyBank Walk Competition featured the theme, "Peace, Love and Chalk," an homage to the 50th anniversary of Woodstock and the Summer of Love.
College Alley features the work of high school and college students near 8th Street and provides them with an opportunity to gain exhibiting experience without adhering to the more stringent requirements for professional artists.
New this year, the Hennepin Park Gazebo has been transformed into an Iroquois Market that brings to life the rich history of Native American heritage. It features a celebration of traditional and contemporary Native American culture expressed through art, music, drumming, dance and children's activities.
2019 Lewiston Art Festival Awards
This year's winners:
• Best of Show — Faye Lone for Constructed Indian (Fiber)
• Michael McMahon Memorial Award — E. Jane Stoddard for Picconi I
• 1st - Ron Becker "Still Standing"
• 2nd - Jillian E. Taylor "Woodlawn with Windmills"
• 3rd - Nikki Milley "The Storyteller"
• HM - Deborah Hormell* "Stormy Creek"
• 1st - Phil Pantano "Dark Alley"
• 2nd - Michael R. Weishan "Wormsloe Avenue of Oaks"
• 3rd - Evan Fleming Pierce "Field of Power"
• HM - Elaine Kessel "Looking for Oz"
Graphic Arts & Drawing
• 1st - Kelsey Merkle "Tell Me More"
• 2nd - Lyn Federico "Gift"
• 3rd - Amanda Polanski "Amelia"
• HM - Joseph A. Necci "Michelangelo’s Slaves"
• 1st - Mark Gaiger Music & Vines Music Stand Steel and Wood
• 2nd - Fred W. Janik "Tulips"
• 3rd - Connie Lavelle "Hold Dear"
• HM - Robert Fragale "Lobster"
• 1st - Suzanne Handel Mair "Great is My Faithfulness"
• 2nd - Chris Therrien "Space Between"
• 3rd - Heather Cook "City of Lanterns"
• HM - Joshua Fraass "Thousand Miles Collage"
Artistic Craft: Jewelry
• 1st - David Villone "Earthtoner"
• 2nd - Bonnie Hedden "Vine Heart"
• 3rd - Mark Van de Bogart "Cityscape"
• HM - Susan Gillick "Purple Rain"
Artistic Craft: Other
• 1st - Elyse Wall* - "Soldier’s Sequence"
• 2nd - Daniel Dorociak - Vase
• 3rd - Bruce McCausland "Turkey Feathers"
• HM Vicki Bellis-Brouk "Burgundy Diamonds"
Best Booth Display: Diana Hydock for Booth 604
* College Alley Student Artist
KeyBank Chalk Walk Competition
• 1st Place – Lewiston-Porter High School: Team 1
• 2nd Place – Lewiston-Porter High School: Team 2
• 3rd Place - Niagara Falls High School: Team 1
• Chairman’s Choice: The Harley School