For the period of Feb. 29 to March 6 the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 111 calls.

• FIRE: The most serious of the seven fires this week caused by unattended cooking was reported at 5:44 a.m. Sunday. Central alarm received reports indicating that a structure was on fire in the 1800 block of 15th Street. Firefighters from the Bridge Station were the first to arrive and noticed smoke coming from a two-story dwelling. Initial reports indicated that there were possible victims trapped in upstairs bedrooms and firefighters immediately deployed hoselines and headed up the stairs. While ascending the stairs, they encountered moderate smoke conditions but no sign of fire or any significant amount of heat. Other firefighters arrived on the scene and while completing the “size-up” process found large amounts of fire emanating from the rear of the structure on the first floor. The platoon chief, recognizing the fact that the fire was rapidly growing in intensity, ordered a withdrawal from the structure. Seconds later, the entire first floor erupted into flame momentarily trapping those firefighters on the second floor. The fire raced up the stairs as the firefighters were making their way down, completely engulfing them in fire. The 1,200-degree fire began to melt their protective equipment and began to compromise their firefighting clothing. The three firefighters eventually made their way out but not before suffering minor burns and injuries. Minor damage occurred to other nearby structures due to their close proximity to the fire building. The cause of the fire was determined to be unattended cooking and damage was placed at $70,000.

• FIRE: At 4:50 p.m. Tuesday, firefighters from the downtown companies were dispatched for a reported building fire in the 1100 block of Haeberle Avenue. Firefighter arrived to find smoke in the structure and determined that the fire was in the kitchen. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze but not before the fire caused an estimated $5,000 in damage. Due to the large amount of smoke, the family was displaced and assistance from the Red Cross was requested.

• CAT CALL: For the second time this week, firefighters were called to assist a resident in the 2000 block of Pine Avenue when their cat became stuck in the ductwork of the heating system once again. Firefighters were first called on Saturday to assist in removing the cat, which was located but failed to come out. Once again on Wednesday, the cat proved to be elusive and despite the coaxing of the firefighters as well as the occupants did not seem interested in coming out.

• NOTE: Residents are reminded the city does have a smoke detector ordinance that requires a detector in each residence. In addition, as we move our clocks forward to daylight savings time on Sunday, residents are reminded to change the battery in their smoke as well as carbon monoxide alarms.

Trending Video

Recommended for you