Man faces charges in violent burglary
A Falls man faces a long list of charges after he broke into a home, fired a shotgun blast at the homeowner and then fled.
John E. McAllister, 22, 2326 14th St., was charged with first-degree burglary, attempted first-degree assault, fourth-degree grand larceny, fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, first-degree reckless endangerment, fourth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, fourth-degree criminal mischief, seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and no seat belt.
Police said they received a call from a homeowner in the 3600 block of Chapin Avenue, at 11:07 p.m. Saturday, saying there was someone inside his home. Moments later, the homeowner told police the suspect had fired at him with a shotgun and he was now following the burglar as he tried to make his get-away.
The homeowner then began chasing the suspect, who was driving a light-colored van and officers were able to stop the van at Niagara and 26th streets. Police said they took McAllister out of the van at gunpoint and found he had a switchblade knife in his pants pocket.
Inside the van, officers recovered a single Hydrocodone pill and a book safe that belonged to the homeowner. Other officers recovered a Remmington shotgun a short distance from where McAllister’s van was stopped.
The homeowner said the shotgun and book safe had been taken from his home. The homeowner’s neighbor told police a shotgun blast had hit his house and caused minor damage to porch furniture and a light fixture.
• ARREST: A Falls man was arrested after trying to slash an employee of a Ferry Avenue bar with a razor. Arthur J. H. Moore, 33, 157 Hyde Park Blvd. Apt. 2, was charged with second-degree menacing, fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon and disorderly conduct. Moore is accused of trying to slash the employee during an incident at the bar, in the 200 block of Ferry Avenue, at 3:22 a.m. Sunday.
• ARREST: A Falls man was arrested on an assault charge. Ezra C. Garner, 46, 2740 21st St., was charged with second-degree assault. Garner is accused of hitting a 20-year-old man with a baseball bat during an incident in the 2700 block of 21st Street at 1 p.m. Sunday.
• ARREST: A Falls man was arrested after he reportedly sold another man a box full of newspapers after telling the victim the box contained an i-Pad. Kenneth Longmire, 44, 1167 Haeberle Ave. Apt. 2, was charged with petit larceny. The victim said Longmire ripped him off in the 100 block of Falls Street at 11:40 p.m. Saturday.
• ARRESTS: Two Buffalo men were arrested on assault charges. Darrell C. Negron Sr., 42, 936 West Ferry Ave. and Curtis D. Jimerson, 38, 83 Briscoe Ave., were each charged with third-degree assault. The pair are accused of attacking a woman on Crick Court at 11:45 p.m. Saturday and punching her in the head several times.
• ARREST: A Grand Island woman was arrested after a shoplifting incident at a business in the 1500 block of Military Road at 4:40 p.m. Saturday. Amy Stockle, 43, 1012 Whitehaven Road, was charged with petit larceny. She’s accused of taking more than $150 worth of merchandise without paying for it.
• ARREST: A Falls man was arrested after he interfered with the investigation of a domestic incident at 8:30 p.m. Saturday. Samuel Zito, 20, 3040 Monroe Ave., was charged with second-degree obstructing governmental administration. The incident took place in Zito’s home.