NIAGARA FALLS —
War of 1812 poll
• Nearly 4 in 10 Americans (36 percent) believe there was no significant outcome of the war, or none they can name, compared with Canadians (23 percent).
• Americans (84 percent) are more likely than Canadians (78 percent) to agree it’s important who won the war
• 12 percent of Americans believe the most important outcome of the war was the burning of the White House
• 51 percent of Americans believe the War of Independence was the most important in the formation of the U.S. identity, 25 percent believe it was the Civil War and 21 percent think it was World War II
* Source: Historica-Dominion Institute, Toronto