- Tim's Take
TIM'S TAKES: Roy can remake image in playoffs
Derek Roy has yet to turn 28 (his birthday is two weeks from Tuesday), but it’s not like his prime has passed. The last time the Sabres reached the postseason, Roy was just one of a number of potent scorers on a high-flying lineup, but now he’s the top guy, one of the most integral parts to an offense that sometimes can’t find its footing.
- TIM'S TAKE: Armstrong: Raptors paying the price on ‘D’ For the rest of Tim's Takes, including takes on Bilal Benn, Ales Kotalik and T.J. Crittenden, pick up Sunday's copy of the Niagara Gazette, Lockport Union Sun & Journal or Tonawanda News.
- TIM'S TAKES: Nix, not Gailey, the one to worry about General manager Buddy Nix, the affable Southerner who calls ’em as he sees ’em, reminded us again that this wasn’t a job he’d even come looking for.
- TIM'S TAKE: Niagara's Garrison sneaks back into form It’s the little plays, the subtle maneuvers and intricacies of Rob Garrison’s game that distinguish whether he’s on or not. On a Niagara University men’s basketball team that seems to produce a highlight reel nearly every night out, that’s not easy to spot.
- TIM'S TAKE: Jackson’s story again lost in misery It wasn’t the kind of magic season-ticket holders had in mind when the year started, but when a team galvanizes around a single cause — and getting Jackson past the milestone was a common theme in postgame interviews — it makes a game seem somewhat worthwhile.
TIM'S TAKE: Stafford’s patience finally pays off
There had to be some method to Ruff’s madness. After giving Stafford the night off on Sunday in St. Louis, he’s been waiting for the team’s 2004 first-round pick to become a difference-maker. And with the Sabres already in a major hole on Tuesday, why not give the kid a chance to snap out of his skid, right?
TIM'S TAKES: Campbell deal shines brightly now
In the face of a legitimate meltdown two years ago, when fan skepticism was at an all-time high after the Drury/Briere Debacle, the Sabres muted a potential fan revolt by getting a reasonable return in dealing Campbell to San Jose. They later turned that move into one for current captain Craig Rivet.
TIM'S TAKE: Devils can overcome softies, Sabres can’t
When Miller did blink, something he’s rarely done this season, the Sabres were finished. If he’s not in the game, mentally, they’ve got little chance. If he’s not in the game physically, the probability falls closer to zero. All three times someone other than No. 30 has started, Buffalo has lost.
- TIM'S TAKE: Lewis puts smile on coach Mihalich's face While Tyrone Lewis will leave his name all over the Niagara record book, Joe Mihalich insists what he’ll remember most about the senior after he leaves is that smile, the same one that reassured his coach that he was fine on Sunday.
TIM'S TAKE: Bills missed chance for prime Northern exposure
Call this trip across the border a reality check. A stiff northern breeze.
Another frustrating reminder that the Bills have trouble entertaining one town, never mind two.
- More Tim's Take Headlines
- TIM'S TAKES: Roy can remake image in playoffs