Niagara Gazette — Niagara Outdoors Calendar of Events for week of June 9-15, 2013
- Final Day, Orleans County Lake Ontario Pro-Am Salmon Team Tournament out of the Orleans County Marine Park, Point Breeze. Weigh in opens at 11 a.m. Fishing concludes at 12:30 p.m. for the Open Division; 2 p.m. for the Pro-Am Division. Awards ceremony to follow weigh in.
- Niagara County Sportsmen’s Association, Lower Mountain Road, Ransomville will hold their monthly general membership meeting starting at 2 p.m.
- Pro-gun, Second Amendment Rally in Albany at the Legislative Office Building to oppose the SAFE Act. Buses will be departing from the Eastern Hills Mall between 4 and 4:30 a.m. Call Rich Davenport at 510-7952 for more info.
- Deadline to apply for Animal Planet’s extreme fishing competition, Top Hooker. Send in your name, age (you must be 21), phone, location, recent photo and a brief explanation of why you are America’s top hooker to email@example.com.
- Niagara Frontier 3-D League Shoot at LaSalle Sportsmen’s Club, 2445 Tuscarora Rd., Niagara Falls. Registration from 3-6 p.m. Call Mike Martin at 583-2561 for more info.
- Rapids Rod and Gun Club will hold their monthly general membership meeting at the Rapids Volunteer Fire Company, Plank Rd., Lockport starting at 7 p.m.
- Iroquois Arms Collectors Assn. will hold their monthly meeting at the Niagara Falls Frontier Fire Hall starting at 8 p.m. For more information call Don Clark at 791-4628.
- Start of the Double T Summer Youth Archery program through August 14 from 6-8 p.m. each night. Open to youth 5-17 years old. Some equipment is available. A fee is involved. For more info go to www.TTarchery.org.
- Lake Ontario Trout and Salmon Assn. general membership meeting at Cornell Cooperative Extension Niagara, 4487 Lake Avenue (Route 78), Lockport starting at 7 p.m. There will be round table discussion on catching summer salmon and brown trout.
- Wilson Conservation Club, 2934 Cambria-Wilson Rd., Wilson will hold their monthly general membership meeting at 8 p.m.
- Hartland Conservationists Club, Orangeport Rd., Gasport will hold their monthly general membership meeting at 7 p.m.
- 2nd Annual DEC Fish management workshop to focus on Lake Erie and Upper Niagara River fisheries from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at Woodlawn Beach State park. The class is free. For more info call 851-7010.
- Opening day of the regular bass and muskellunge seasons in New York State.
- Opening Day smallmouth bass contest sponsored by the Wagon Wheel Restaurant. 100 percent pay-out. Sunrise to 4 p.m. U.S. waters only. Two fish weigh-in. Minimum length is 15 inches. Scales open from 3-4 p.m. Register at the Wagon Wheel Restaurant, 7201 Niagara Falls Blvd., Niagara Falls. Call 283-9861 for more info.
- Kids fishing derby sponsored by the Wilson Conservation Club from 8 a.m. to noon in any Niagara County water for kids age 3 to 14. The awards will take place at 1 p.m. at their club house located on Route 425. For more info call 930-7500 or 807-7264.
- City of Tonawanda 18th Annual Kids Fishing Derby up to age 16 at Niawanda Park. 9 a.m. to noon. Registration at 8:30 a.m. at the Band Shell on River Road, Tonawanda. Over $5,000 in prizes. For more info call John or Kate White at 692-6306.
- Opening day of the Summer Lake Ontario Counties (LOC) Trout and Salmon Derby. Visit www.loc.org for more information or call 888-REEL-2-IN. The Summer Derby will continue through July 28.
- Hiking the Great Gorge Route at Whirlpool State Park from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more info or to register call 282-5154.
- Opening Day Bass Contest at Rosemellias Burt Hotel, Route 78, Burt from sunrise to 4 p.m. Scales are only open 3-4 p.m. Only Lake Ontario and tributaries, U.S. waters only. Smallmouth or largemouth bass, best two fish. Register the day prior to the tournament at the Burt Hotel. Minimum bass length is 15-inches.
- Frog season opens at sunrise and will remain open through September 30. You can take frogs by spear, club, hook or hand between sunrise and sunset. Either a small game hunting license or a fishing license is required. When using a gun or longbow, you must have a small game-hunting license.