Niagara Gazette — The Cayuga Big League 18U baseball team won two of three games within the week, sweeping the Tonawanda Angels in both games of a home-and-home series. In the opener, Cayuga won by a score of 8-6. Anthony Forcucci went 3 for 3, scoring two runs. Steven Conklin and Dan Ball both went 2 for 3, with Conklin scoring two runs. Cory Massaro hit a triple, while Anthony Hall was the winning pitcher.
In the second game, Hall’s two-run triple led Cayuga to a 4-3 win at home. Conklin scored two runs while Bryan Churpita singled and scored the winning run. Conklin was also the winning pitcher.
Cayuga’s loss came at the hands of Grand Island, who scored two eighth inning runs and held on to win, 9-8. Cayuga’s Chris Lorenz drove three runs home with a double, sending the game to extra innings. Pat Custode doubled, while Anthony Forcucci went 2 for 3 with two runs scored. On the mound, Conklin and Nick Forcucci combined for eight strikeouts for Cayuga, while Grand Island’s Matt Lenz struck out six.
• Jude Lowry’s four hits, two RBIs and two runs led the J.A. Brundage Drain Doctor Pirates in their victory over the Main Street B.P.A. Blue Jays in Whirlpool Little League minor division action.
Matthew Ceccato and Tommy Tower combined for four hits and seven RBIs. Ciaran Destino and Ryan Chenaille both hit twice while Lyndi Lowry scored three runs for the Pirates. For the Blue Jays, Emilia Charsley had a single and a double while Cameron Gardner also doubled.
• In Hyde Park Babe Ruth majors action, the Bucky’s Barber Shop Yankees defeated the Anderson Electric Cardinals, 5-4. Quran Dubois struck out 11 batters and was the Yankees’ winning pitcher. Cardinals pitcher Zachary Kennedy was equally tough to hit, striking out 11 Yankees. Anthony Sullivan tripled for the Yankees while Trevor Matthews homered for the Cardinals.
• In Hyde Park’s minor division, the Cardamone Chiropractic Nationals defeated the Felicetti Concrete A’s, 17-15. Antwain Gandy drove home six runs with four hits that included a home run and triple. Gandy also pitched three innings and struck out four batters. Ashley Baretta hit twice while Ryan Tezack added three hits. For the A’s, Brandon GRace had three hits and two RBIs.
• In Hyde Park’s T-Ball league, there were hits and runs aplenty on both sides as the Park Avenue Imprint Twins prevailed over the Park Side Auto Pirates, 24-10. For the Twins, Nick Ligammari, Nieysa Torres and Matt Warner had five hits apiece, while Aaron Nicoletti and Evan Vincent had four hits. Ligammari’s hits included a double. For the Pirates, Antonio Neff and E.J. George hit twice.
• In Lewiston minor league play, the HW Bryck & Sons River Bandits defeated the Main Street Pizza Grasshoppers, 4-1. Matthew Toohey and Vincent Carlo led the River Bandits with two hits and an RBI apiece. Jude Violante drove in the go ahead run for the River Bandits. Carter Krawczyk reached base three times and scored a run.
• The Niagara PAL United U12 boys defeated the Hamburg Monarchs by a score of 3-2. Joseph Colson scored early, but after Niagara PAL gave up two goals, Zak Meranto scored two consecutive goals to lead United to victory.
• The Niagara PAL United U14 boys defeated the Newfane Panthers by a score of 4-0. Nick McKean scored first for Niagara PAL on a penalty kick. Keith Muldoon, Chase Harasimowicz and Nick Flinchum scored Niagara PAL’s other goals. Goalkeeper William Berard earned the shutout while Jared Siuta was credited with strong play throughout the match.