Niagara Gazette — Another year of high school baseball is in the books, and the 2013 season could go down as a promising one for local schools.
While we had no sectional champions, Grand Island, Lewiston-Porter, Niagara Falls, Niagara-Wheatfield, Starpoint and Wilson did produce eight postseason wins. And with eight of the 13 slots on this year's All-Area team going to underclassmen, it wouldn't be wrong to be excited about the future of high school baseball in Niagara County.
After contacting local coaches and multiple media members, we've selected three pitchers and 10 position players to honor on our 2013 All-Area team. Making selections is a difficult process, so we've also listed honorable mentions of deserving candidates. All stats were provided by coaches.
Joe Colosi, Niagara Falls
• STATS: 3-2, 32 IP, 53 K, 13 BB, 24 H, 15 R, 10 ER, 2.19 ERA
• SKINNY: Senior stepped in as ace following the graduation of last year's Player of the Year, Andrew DeWitt. ... Struck out 15 in a two-hitter of North Tonawanda on May 13. ... Knocked in seven and scored six runs while batting .273 at the plate.
Quinn Corrao, Grand Island
• STATS: 5-0, 34 IP, 21 K, 9 BB, 19 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 0.82 ERA
• SKINNY: Junior led the way for the defending Section VI Class A champs, throwing four complete games. ... Three-hit defending NFL champ Niagara Falls on April 22, striking out six. ... Everyday player chipped in at the plate, notching five RBIs and five runs scored.
Austin Speaker, Starpoint
• STATS: 6-2, 41.1 IP, 54 K, 7 BB, 43 H, 23 R, 18 ER, 3.05 ERA
• SKINNY: Senior helped a talented Spartan squad to the No. 4 seed in Class A and a berth in the semifinals. ... Struck out seven in a complete game and went 5 for 5 with six RBIs and three runs scored in a win over Iroqouis on May 8. ... Speedster also led off, hitting .443 with 12 steals.