Niagara Gazette — The Town of Niagara Red Sox defeated North Tonawanda, 28-15, in 17U Travel Softball playoff action. Carrie Hillman had three hits, including a double, and four RBIs. Jamie Strassburg drove in four runs with two hits, while Gianna Teixeira had three RBIs on two hits. Courtney DeWolf was the winning pitcher.
The Red Sox will face the top-seeded Central Niagara Baseball-Softball Association on Monday.
• The Whirlpool Rangers will play for the interleague senior division baseball championship this weekend, advancing after their 10-4 win over the Tonawanda White Sox. Mike Gibas had three hits and two RBIs, while Taylor Huntsman and Connor Brown also had two RBIs apiece. Connor Brown contributed at the plate for the winners with two hits. He was also the winning pitcher, giving up only three hits and striking out eight batters in five innings.
• In the Town of Niagara Majors division, the Halleen's Performance Center A's downed the Tops Markets Giants, 12-7. Vincent Musolino tripled and drove home a run for the A's. Jordan Parks hit a double and triple for three RBIs. Ben Schul had three hits for the A's. For the Giants, Trevor Cannon hit two doubles and drove in two runs, while Antonio Conklin had three hits, including a triple, and two RBIs.
Jack Schmidt was the week's top bowler in the Guido's Upholstery/Joe's Guys Seniors, rolling a 248 as part of his 699 series at Rapids Bowling Center. Bob Kafel was the runner-up with a 237-248-192 for a 677 total. Pete Ozzimo had the highest single game score with 268, part of his 654 series.
Other high series of note were recorded by Walt Kendzia (234-669), Dave Cuddahee (238-666), Bill Rohring (249-653), Tony Zaccarella (227-631), Ed Kamrowski (227-624), Marco Napolitano (237-622), Jerry Piper (235-619), Pat D'Anna (203-604), Mark Voelker (216-601), Jerry Freeman (223-600) and Frank Calovini (234-591).
Single games of note included Terry Pierce (227), Bill O'Neill (214), Dennis Milleville (214), Bill Stanley (213), Bill Welch (210), Bob Winter (204), Tuck Crago (203), Tony Runco (202), Bob Aquino (200), Harry Pelose (195), Paul Julian (193), Sark Sanoian (193), Arnie Porter (192), John Rogers (192), Phil Dirre (191) and Cesare Svizzero (190).
Integrated Controls (Larry Lorenz and Paul Silvan) defeated BMP America (Alan Lebold and Sam Lebold), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 in the Les Nassoiy Tennis League at Hyde Park.
In other doubles play, Sammy's (Eric Scheffler and Sam Deora) defeated Niagara Catholic (Brian Kurtis and Will Whisker), 6-3, 6-4, while Niagara University (Mike Mucci and Burt Thompson) were victorious over Synacor (Jim Cwierley and Nick Fuest), 6-2, 6-0.
• Big Fat Block finished in first place in the three-man division of the Niagara Youth Ministry Co-Ed Volleyball League, defeating Team Mexico in this week's action, 11-5, 11-4, 11-10, 11-11. Mike Ciraolo scored five aces while Matt Thompson added seven spikes. For Mexico, Maggie Garcia had two aces.
• With scores of 11-6, 11-1, 11-5, 11-11, the team of 3 Amigos defeated Gonzalez Boxing Club. Nick Vitello led the winners with three aces and five spikes, while Larry Geracitano had four spikes for Gonzalez Boxing Club.
• Casal's Boxing Club defeated Magic Spike, 11-10, 10-11, 11-6, 11-7. Cody Ezak had five aces for Casal's, while Raquel Gonzalez had three aces for Magic Spike.
• Sloppy Sets clinched the regular season title in the six-man division, defeating Wolverines II in five sets, 11-8, 11-2, 9-11, 11-10, 11-9. Ben Neubauer had three aces and seven spikes.
• Nick Accardo had four spikes as Team Accardo defeated Wolverines, 11-7, 11-7, 11-7, 11-7, 6-11.
Playoffs are scheduled for next week.