Niagara Gazette — Three holes in one were reported within the past week, two of them happening at Hyde Park Golf Course.
• 78-year-old Ed Vocek achieved the feat for his third timne, scoring his latest ace on Hole 17 on the North 18, using a 7 iron to put the ball into the cup from 160 yards out.
• Meantime, Tommy Marra of Niagara Falls reportedly used a 5 hybrid to sink his first ace, also on Hole 17. Gerry DelZoppo, Mike Lynch and Bob Baumker were witnesses.
• Oak Run Golf Club's resident pro Joe O'Shaughnessy reported that club member Larry Rinaldo scored a hole in one on July 8, doing so on the 153-yard Hole 11, using an 8 iron. Witnessing the feat were Nick Benedetti, Ed Spoth and Paul Hayden.
• The Hyde Park Men's Golf Club held the Hank Jenkins Memorial Tournament on the North 18 of the Hyde Park Golf Course. Class A Low Gross winner was Mike Spanbauer with a 69. Jim Munro finished second with a 70, followed by Stan Tubinis with his score of 71. The Class A Low Net winner was Max Martinez with a 64, while Tubinis and John Spanbauer both shot a 66.
The Class B Low Gross winner was Billy Clingersmith who scored an 81 and edged Tim Rickard, who also shot 81, in a tiebreaker. Tony Maglio shot an 82. The Class B Low Net winner was Dave Cuddy with a 63. lingersmith was second with a 66, followed by Maglio, Ron Porter and Vinnie Chiarenza, all of whom shot a 68.
• Lisa Hamilton was one of the weekly tournament winners in last Friday's Hyde Park White Nine Ladies League. Hamilton scored a 34 to take top honors in Flight A. Karyn Morrison led Flight B with her score of 36 while Sharon Schotz scored a 39 to take Flight C. Hamilton shared the lead in low putts for Flight A, as she and Sur Kosikowski both scored 13. Morrison led Flight B with 15, while Henrietta Ingham was the leader in Flight C with her 14.
• In other recent action in Hyde Park ladies' golf, Darlene Adams took the weekly honors with a score of 79 in Flight A, while Dorothy Gatto shot an 88 to lead Flight B and Marie Esposito scored a 96 to lead Flight C. Lee Adriatico led both the weekly tournament and low putts in Flight A with scores of 29 in both. Barbara Fallon was the weekly tournament winner in Flight B with her score of 34 while Gatto led the Flight in low putts with 29. Dorothy Gara won the weekly tournament in Flight C with her score of 36, with Henrietta Ingham taking low puts with 33.
• The Thunderwolves 14U team took second place last weekend at the Lancer Classic in Lewiston. The Wolves gained the third seed, going 5-0, in a pool of 24 teams. The victories came over the Northtown Nationals (6-2), Brampton Royals (12-0), Rochester Rampage (18-1), WNY Spartans, and Upper Deck (11-9).
The Wolves lost the title game to the 4th seed Titans, 7-2. Paul Barker, David Gariano and Tyler Siegmann combined for 18 hits and 11 RBIs. Dennis Gagliardo and Dawson Bailey added nine hits. Mike Laurrie, Matt Grace, Louie Destino and Tommy Watroba all put in strong pitching performances.
• The Lewiston Predators 10U team also took second place in a recent tournament, this one the Brockport Mid-Summer Classic, losing to Fairport, 10-8, in the final game. The Preds opened the tourney with a 15-1 win over Rochester. Peter Spameni, Aidan Ward, Sam Nichols, Zach Brydges, Lucas Eoute, Troy Toohey and Vincent Mauro all hit twice.
Zach Reed's three hits led the Predators to a 13-4 win over the Spencerport Rangers. Spameni and Brydges both hit twice while Eoute hit a home run. The Preds followed that win with a 16-0 decision over Brighton. Carter Krawczyk and Jacob Niccola combined to pitch the shutout. Toohey, Eoute and Ward had three hits each while Reed and Brydges both had three RBIs.
In the semifinal, Mauro's two hits and two runs led Lewiston to a 6-3 win over Brockport. In the final, Nick Carlo, Brydges, Spameni and Niccola had two hits apiece.
• In Hyde Park Babe Ruth minors play, the VFW Post 917 Red Sox cruised to a big win over the Felicetti Concrete Products A's, 23-9. J.J. Brady had seven RBIs, while Noah Licht hit a home run. Brady and Wilfredo Borges had three hits each. For the A's, Mike Clark, Josiah Oliver and Brandon Groce had a hit each, with Oliver and Groce scoring an RBI apiece.
• In the Lewiston minor league semifinals, the H.W. Bryck River Bandits defeated the Main Street Pizza Grasshoppers, 8-7. Finley Patrick's single allowed Romeo Fitzgerald to score the game-winning run in the bottom of the sixth inning. Vincent Carlo added two hits for the River Bandits, while Jacob Niccola had three hits and four RBIs for the Grasshoppers.
• The Niagara PAL United U14 boys team defeated the Northtowns Gladiators, 4-1, at Veterans Park in the Town of Niagara. Christian Meranto, Keith Muldoon, Tommy Hamilton and Nick Flinchum scored Niagara PAL's goals, all of which came in the second half.
Sam Lebold and Joe Lebold (BMP America), defeated the Integrated Controls pairing of Larry Lorenz and Sandro Viola, 7-5, 6-2, in the Less Nassoiy Tennis League at Hyde Park. In other results, Sammy's (Eric Scheffler and Jon Dorba) defeated Niagara Catholic (Will Whisker and Brian Kurtis), 6-4, 7-6 (5). Niagara University (Mike Mucci and John Lorenz) defeated Synacor (Matt Bergey and Ton O'Donnell), 6-1, 6-3.