Niagara Gazette — BASEBALL/SOFTBALL
• SLO-PITCH: The Niagara County Slo-Pitch league is registering softball teams for the coming season. Meetings will be held every Saturday at Judi’s Lounge, 2057 Military Road in Niagara Falls during April. The team entry fee is $225. For more information, call Lenny at 523-6524.
• SLOW PITCH: The Niagara Frontier Slow Pitch League is registering teams for the 2014 season. Men’s, women’s and coed teams are welcome. League play begins on May 5. For more information, contact Don Joyce at 799-5292
• TRAVEL BASEBALL: The Spartans 10U travel baseball team, based in Getzville, is seeking players. Spartans Baseball values sportsmanship and teamwork while developing competitive players. The program seeks players that have the commitment, attitude and desire to work towards becoming the best ballplayer they can be. Interested candidates should email SpartanYouthAthletics@gmail.com.
• UMPIRE TRAINING: The Niagara Falls Umpires Association is hosting its final new member class from 7-9 p.m. Wednesday at the AOH Hall, 9020 S. Military Road in Niagara Falls. These classes will prepare individuals to umpire local high school and summer league games. There is no cost to take the classes but candidates must be age 17 or older. For more information, visit www.nfumpires.com or contact Mike at 628-7892 or email@example.com.
• PAL/ACE SHOWCASE: Tryouts will be held Tuesday at Niagara Falls High School, with games scheduled for Thursday. Freshman and sophomores who played varsity basketball this past season will tryout at 5 p.m., followed by varsity junior and seniors at 6:30 p.m. The FR/SO game will start at 6 p.m. and the JR/SR game will follow. Admission to the games will be $5 with proceeds going to the Niagara PAL. For more info, please contact Sal Constantino at 228-7916.
• PAL MEMORIAL TOURNEY: The ninth annual PAL/Mark “Chief Williams Memorial Tournament will be held May 3-4, split between Niagara University, Niagara Catholic and Niagara Falls High School. Boys and girls division are split between grades 5-6, 7-8, 9-10 and 11-12. Entry cost is $175 per team. For information and forms, call 716-286-7039 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
• NF USBC WOMEN: The Niagara Falls USBC Women’s Bowling Association is holding its annual city tournament April 26-May 9 at Rapids Bowling Center. Specific dates and times are listed on the tournament applications, which are located at the three area bowling centers. Entry fees remain unchanged. For more information contact tournament manager Sheila Tallarico at 716-282-6204. The Association is accepting nominations for its Hall of Fame. There are three categories: Distinguished Service, Honors and Superior Performance. Applications for nominations can be acquired by contacting a member of the Niagara Falls Women’s Bowling Association Board of Directors.
• CATARACT LITTLE LOOP: Open registrations for the 2014 season for children ages 6-13 will be held from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the Boys and Girls Club, 725 17th Street, Niagara Falls. Cost is $140, cash or money order. Financial assistance is available to first 80 qualified football players, inquire at registration. All children must be present and have proof of health insurance. New participants must have a copy of the child’s birth certificate. For information, contact coach Eric Dixon at 622-6881 or coach Kris Green at 418-9273
• BUFFALO STARS: The first round of boys and girls travel team tryouts for the 2014-2015 season will begin at today at Holiday Twin Rinks with Midget U18 Full Season at 4 p.m. and Midget U16 Full Season at 5:15 p.m. Girls U14, U16 and U19 tryouts are at 9:15 p.m. and Bantam Major and Minor are at 9:30 p.m. Tryouts will also be held today at Hyde Park for the U18 Split Season team (6 p.m.) and the U15 and U16 split season teams (7 p.m.). For general information contact Pete Preteroti at 685-1122 or visit online at www.buffalostars.com for a complete tryout listing. All Participants must present a release from their current organization in order to participate in the tryout. Release required even from House League.
• NIAGARA COUNTY COYOTES: Tryouts are scheduled at Hyde Park as follows, all on Rink One unless otherwise noted: Bantam Minor, 6 p.m. today, 6 p.m. Tuesday; Bantam Major AA, 6 p.m. today, 6 p.m. Tuesday; Midget 15 U AA, 7 p.m. Tuesday, 6 p.m. Wednesday; Midget 16U, 7 p.m. today, 7 p.m. Wednesday; Midget 18U, 8 p.m. today, 8 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $15 per tryout and all players must have a birth certificate and a signed release if from another organization. For more information visit www.NiagaraCountyCoyotes.com.
• GIRLS CAMP: Registration is now open for the Hot Shots Girls Day Camp, held July 14-17 at Amherst High School. The camp will feature Katie Rowan, US Womens National Team player, former player and current assistant coach at Syracuse University, and boasts a strong staff of area college and HS coaches and current college players. Under the direction of Janet Battaglia, the camp is open to girls ages 4-18 regardless of ability or experience. The sessions for 4-7 year olds will run from 9 a.m.-11:30 a.m. and 9 a.m.-2 p.m. for ages 8-18. Find out more about this camp and register at www.hotshotslaxcamp.com.
• GIRLS PAL: Register now for the Niagara PAL Lady Lightning and Little Lightning summer travel programs, which include a combination of practices, scrimmages and refereed games and is open to girls grades 2-12 regardless of ability or experience. The season runs from June 9-Aug. 5 and practices and games will take place from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for grades 6-12 and at the same time Mondays and Wednesdays for grades 2-5. There will be a general registration meeting at 6 p.m. May 28 at Niagara Falls High School, and registration deadline is June 10. Find out more or download a registration form at: http://littlelightninglax.wix.com/nfhs.
• HYDE PARK LADIES: There will be a meeting for the upcoming season of the Wednesday Night Ladies Lawn Bowling league at 6:30 p.m. April 30. The meeting will be held at Hyde Park at the “little house” located next to the lawn bowling courts. Anyone interested in forming a team is invited to attend. Anyone returning a team from last year is encouraged to send a member to the meeting. Any questions, contact Tina Granieri at 282-3641.
• GIRLS TRAVEL: Niagara Wheatfield Amateur Athletics is looking for committed U14 Ladies to round out its new squad. Coach/Trainer Taylor and Coach Wendy will be holding one-on-one tryouts mid April. Interested players should email firstname.lastname@example.org for appointments.
• NWAA: Online registration is now open for a new recreational soccer program, which will run on weekdays only from May 19-July 31. Visity www.nwaasports.net for more details and registration information.
Editor’s note: Registrations are scheduled to appear in Monday editions. Submissions should be sent to email@example.com by 5 p.m. Friday. Last minute requests for publication on other days of the week will no longer be accepted.