Niagara Gazette — BASEBALL/SOFTBALL
• CAYUGA: Registration for Babe Ruth baseball and house softball will be held on the following dates at the the 93rd Street Complex: March 12, 6-8 p.m.; March 15, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; March 19, 6-8:30 p.m. Players must be between 5-19 years old to be eligible for baseball and 7-17 for softball. For more information, visit www.leaguelineup.com/cyaa.
• HYDE PARK: Registration for Hyde Park Baseball will be hosted this week on two dates. The first registration session will be held Wednesday from 7 to 9 p.m. at Goodfellas Pizzeria, 745 W. Market Street. The second session will be held on Sunday, March 16 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Bucky’s Barber Shop, 2216 Hyde Park Boulevard. For more information, call Jeff at 316-5700.
• SLOW PITCH: The Niagara Frontier Slow Pitch League is registering teams for the 2014 season. Men’s, women’s and coed teams are welcome. League play begins on May 5. For more information, contact Don Joyce at 799-5292
• UMPIRE TRAINING: The Niagara Falls Umpires Association will host its new member classes beginning at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the AOH Hall, 9020 S. Military Road in Niagara Falls. Classes, which run until 9 p.m., will continue each Wednesday through April 16 to prepare individuals to umpire local high school and summer league games. There is no cost to take the classes but candidates must be ages 17 or older. For more information, visit www.nfumpires.com or contact Mike at 628-7892 or email@example.com.
• WHIRLPOOL PARK: Registrations will be held on from 10 a.m.-noon March 16 in the basement of St. Raphael’s (corner of College and McKoon). Boys and girls ages 4-16 are eligible for baseball. Online registration is available at http://whirlpoolparkll.com/, and coaches can volunteer online as well. A birth certificate is required for first-time participants. Call Chris Robins at 514-3348 for more information.
• BUFFALO STARS: Tryouts for the 2014-15 season start today at Holiday Twin Rinks in Cheektowaga. Squirt Minor and Squirt Major tryouts will be held at 7:30 p.m. today, followed by Peewee Minor and Peewee Major at 8:30 p.m. Mite and Squirt Minor will be held at 6:45 p.m. March 11, followed by Peewee Major at 7:45 p.m. Tryouts wrap up Wednesday, with Mite and Squirt Major taking the ice at 5:45 p.m. and Peewee Minor and Peewee Tier 3 following at 6:45 p.m. All participants must present a release from their current organization in order to participate in the tryout. Release required even from House League. For general information, contact Pete Preteroti at 685-1122 or visit www.buffalostars.com.
• NIAGARA COUNTY COYOTES: Tryouts are scheduled at Hyde Park as follows, all on Rink One unless otherwise noted: Squirt Mixed, 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, 6 p.m. Wednesday (Rink Two); Peewee Mixed, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, 7 p.m. March 12 (Rink Two); Bantam Minor, 6 p.m. April 7, 6 p.m. April 8; Bantam Major AA, 6 p.m. April 7, 6 p.m. April 8; Midget 15 U AA, 7 p.m. April 8, 6 p.m. April 9; Midget 16U, 7 p.m. April 7, 7 p.m. April 9; Midget 18U, 8 p.m. April 7, 8 p.m. April 8. Cost is $15 per tryout and all players must have a birth certificate and a signed release if from another organization. For more information, visit www.NiagaraCountyCoyotes.com.
• GIRLS CAMP: Registration is now open for the Hot Shots Girls Day Camp, held July 14-17 at Amherst High School. The camp will feature Katie Rowan, US Womens National Team player, former player and current assistant coach at Syracuse University, and boasts a strong staff of area college and HS coaches and current college players. Under the direction of Janet Battaglia, the camp is open to girls ages 4-18 regardless of ability or experience. The sessions for 4-7 year olds will run from 9 a.m.-11:30 a.m. and 9 a.m.-2 p.m. for ages 8-18. Find out more about this camp and register at www.hotshotslaxcamp.com.
• GIRLS PAL: Register now for the Niagara PAL Lady Lightning and Little Lightning summer travel programs, which include a combination of practices, scrimmages and refereed games and is open to girls grades 2-12 regardless of ability or experience. The season runs from June 9-Aug. 5 and practices and games will take place from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for grades 6-12 and at the same time Mondays and Wednesdays for grades 2-5. There will be a general registration meeting at 6 p.m. May. 28 at Niagara Falls High School, and registration deadline is June 10. Find out more about Niagara PAL Lacrosse or download a registration form at: http://littlelightninglax.wix.com/nfhs.
• NFHS: Niagara Falls High School is looking for boys interested in playing Varsity and JV club lacrosse. Interested players in grades 7-12 can contact Coach Colangelo at 579-4163 for more information.
• NWAA: Online registration is now open for a new recreational soccer program, which will run on weekdays only from May 19-July 31. Visit www.nwaasports.net for more details and registration information.
• NU LESSONS: Niagara University’s Recreation Department is taking registrations for instructional swim lessons, available for children of all ages and skill levels. Instructional classes will be conducted Wednesday evenings and Saturday afternoons beginning March 15 and 19. Each class will consist of 30 minutes of instruction based on American Red Cross guidelines including 5 minutes of structured free swim. Cost for the program includes $60 for the five week sessions and an additional $5 off every additional child that is enrolled. For more information on these swim programs, contact Niagara University’s Kiernan Center at 286-8055.
• POWERCATS: The Niagara Falls Powercats are accepting registrations every Monday and Wednesday for the 2014 season. Classes are from 6-8 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday, Friday at the Niagara Falls Wrestling Club, 2402 Niagara Street. The program is open to boys and girls from 4-18 years old. Please bring a copy of birth certificate and insurance information. Beginners and experienced wrestlers are all welcome. For more information, call Lisa 213-8617 or Coach Joe 579-9900.
Editor’s note: Registrations are scheduled to appear in Monday editions. Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. Friday. PLAN ACCORDINGLY: Last minute requests for publication in editions on other days of the week will no longer be accepted.