By Brandon Koch
The Buffalo Bills re-signed former University at Buffalo and St. Joe’s product Naaman Roosevelt to the practice squad Wednesday after being a victim on cut day Saturday.
After a whirlwind of a weekend, Roosevelt was happy to back at One Bills Drive on Wednesday.
“It was pretty crazy,” he said. “I just tried to stay focused and hopefully land somewhere. I’m thankful that Buffalo called me back.
“My agent was talking to a couple teams but we thought definitely Buffalo was the best choice. Just me being here, and the coaches knowing me, it’s definitely a good fit.”
The Bills decided to keep six receivers when they trimmed the roster down to the 53-man unit, including Ruvell Martin, who was released Tuesday when the team picked up offensive lineman Sam Young from Dallas.
“It’s a business, things happen,” Roosevelt said. “I was hurt. Definitely the other receivers, they stepped up and made plays. I definitely wasn’t mad, but I was just ready to play again.”
Roosevelt missed the final two preseason games after he sustained an ankle injury late last month. He said though he fought injuries during camp, he’s near 100 percent now.
The second-year receiver impressed coach Chan Gailey early on in camp before going down with an injury. He was team’s leading receiver after the first two preseason games against Chicago and Denver.
Roosevelt was cut last season after signing as an undrafted free agent. After injuries piled up at wide receiver later in the year, he was called and caught nine passes for 139 yards.
“Things happen in football, you know, with injuries and if something happens I’d definitely be ready to step up,” he said. “It’s always good to play with the hometown team, and I have family here, so it’s definitely good.”