For the period of March 3 to 16, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 246 calls. The total number of service calls for 2014 to date is 1,266.
• FIRE: On March 5, Engine 4 was dispatched at 9:03 p.m. to a vehicle fire in the 600 block of Ashland Avenue. Upon arrival, the crew consisting of Capt. Keith Stahlman and Firefighters Tom Tedesco, Jeremiah Traver, and Michael Dorsey, discovered a 1994 Cadillac with its engine compartment completely involved in fire. The cause was a mechanical malfunction. Damage was estimated at $4,000.
• FIRE: On March 8, unattended cooking started a kitchen fire at 3:06 a.m. in a high-rise apartment building in the 900 block of Cedar Avenue. A full assignment from Platoon 2 responded and was able to limit the damage to $500.
• ACCIDENT: On March 9, Truck 2 and Engine 7 were sent at 4:51 a.m. to the intersection of 56th Street and Niagara Falls Boulevard for a motor vehicle accident with serious injuries. The truck crew had to use the Jaws of Life to extricate one victim from the wreck. That victim died a short time later. Two other injured parties were treated at the scene and transported to Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center for further evaluation.
• INCIDENT: On March 10, Engine 7 and Truck 2 responded at 9:33 a.m. to the 500 block of 78th Street to investigate a report of a carbon monoxide detector activation in a home. Using CO measurement meters, firefighters found dangerous levels of 600 parts per million in the basement and 200 parts per million on the first floor of the residence. The flue from the furnace, which had been accidentally pulled out of the chimney, was discovered to be the source of the problem.
• FIRE: On March 16, Platoon 2 was dispatched at 2:40 p.m. to the 5600 block of Niagara Falls Boulevard for a call of a fire in an apartment. Responding crews quickly extinguished a fire in an electrical outlet. The apartment was condemned for having no smoke or carbon monoxide detectors.
• NOTE: Unfortunately, many kids try to hide from fires, often in a closet, under a bed, or in a corner. But if they had been taught basic fire facts, they'd be better able to protect themselves. Teach your kids that fires spread quickly, that most fire-related deaths are not from burns, but from smoke inhalation and that dangerous fumes can overcome a person in just a few minutes. Children should learn to cover their mouths and noses with a moist towel or an article of clothing to keep out dangerous fumes while evacuating, crawl under the smoke to safety, staying as low to the ground as possible, touch any door (not the doorknob) to see if it is hot, and if it is, not to open it, never stop to take personal belongings or pets and never go back into a burning building once they are safely outside. They should also learn to stop, drop, and roll to extinguish flames if an article of clothing catches on fire.