— For the period of Oct. 15 to 28, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 229 calls. The total number of service calls for 2012 to date is 5,216.
• FIRE: On Oct. 17, a report of a building fire, at 8:13 a.m., sent a full assignment from Platoon 3 to the 1200 block of 87th Street. The element in an electric oven had shorted out and caused a fire in the oven. The fire was contained to the oven and damage was limited to $200.
• FIRE: On Oct. 17, Platoon 4 responded, at 4:40 p.m., to another oven fire in the 1700 block of LaSalle Avenue. Damage to the oven was $100.
• FIRST AID: On Oct. 21, Engine 3's crew, consisting of Captain Mike Winker and Firefighters Tim Kennedy, Mark Reynolds, and Josh Mayes, were sent to an industrial facility in the 3800 block of Highland Avenue, at 8:54 a.m., for a report of an amputation. The crew tended to the man's hand injuries and he was transported by ambulance to the Buffalo General Hospital hand clinic.
• FIRE: On Oct. 21, Engine 7, Engine 9, and Truck 2 were sent to the 600 block of 75th Street, at 2:44 p.m., for a residential alarm. No one was home when firefighters arrived, but Engine 7's crew of Captain Anthony Quaranto and Firefighters Jan Krupa, and Jerel Welch could smell burnt food so they forced entry through a door and discovered a pot of sauce left unattended on the stovetop. The pot was removed from the house and a relative of the owner was contacted to secure the structure. Total damage was $100, but likely would have been much more had the resident not had an alarm company monitoring their smoke detectors.
• ACCIDENT: On Oct. 21, Engine 9 responded to a call, at 4 p.m., of a motorcyclist who had wiped out in the 8800 block of Niagara Falls Boulevard. After stabilizing the man for his injuries, he was taken by ambulance to the Erie County Medical Center Trauma Unit.
• FIRE: On Oct. 22, firefighters responded to a call of a fire in the passenger compartment of a vehicle, at 10:25 p.m., in the 200 block of 77th Street. Engine 7's crew of Captain Mark Lanoye and Firefighters Dave Beahen, and Chuck DelGobbo advanced a hoseline and extinguished the fire. The cause of the blaze was determined to be suspicious. A fire marshall and police arson detective were called to investigate. Damage was estimated at $3,000.
• ACCIDENT: On Oct. 24, a vehicle rollover, at 11:30 a.m., at the intersection of Packard Road and Simmons Avenue sent two rigs for first aid and possible fire suppression. The "Jaws of Life" were needed to extricate the victims out of the vehicle and three patients were transported to area hospitals.
• FIRE: On Oct. 25, a report of a fire in a bathroom in the 2400 block of North Avenue, at 6:22 a.m., required a full assignment from Platoon 3 to respond. An electrical malfunction in the ceiling fan was the cause of the fire and damage was limited to $200.
• FIRE: On Oct. 28, Platoon 1 went to a stove fire, at 9:41 a.m., in the 500 block of Third Street. While the fire was relatively easily extinguished, numerous illegal wiring situations were noticed in the apartment and a building inspector was called to review the problems.