Niagara Gazette

Police Reports

February 25, 2013

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published Feb. 23

For the period of Feb. 4 to 17, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 227 calls. The total number of service calls to date in 2013 is 800.

• RESCUE: On Feb. 6, Engine 8 and Truck 1 used their tools to free a teacher stuck in an elevator at Gaskill Middle School.

 
• FIRE: On Feb. 7, a full assignment from Platoon 4 was sent, at 6:31 a.m., to a rooming house in the 1100 block of Main Street for a report of a structure fire. Upon arrival, firefighters discovered that a resident had started a blanket on fire in his second floor room. It was quickly extinguished and damage was minimal. Fire investigators discovered a large number of missing or dead batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the structure. Firefighters replaced many of the batteries and violation notices were sent to the building owner.

 
• FIRE: On Feb. 10, a fire, at 10:41 a.m., on a second floor porch of a home in the 1800 block of Whitney Avenue sent crews into action. Platoon 2 responded and found an electrical short in the wiring powering the first floor porch light had started a fire in the floor of the porch above. Damage was estimated at $500.

 
• FIRE: On Feb. 10, Platoon 1 was dispatched, at 11:50 p.m., to the 3200 block of Ninth Street for a kitchen fire. The occupant of the residence had started cooking on his stovetop and forgot about it while watching television. When he discovered the fire, he attempted to remove the pan from the stove and in the process spilled the hot grease on himself. The victim suffered burns on his upper body and feet. he was taken to the Erie County Medical Center for further treatment of his injuries. Damage was pegged at $1,000.

 
• HAZMAT INCIDENT: On Feb. 11, an erroneous mixture of pool chemicals at Gaskill Middle School, at 9:27 a.m., caused a reaction that produced a hazardous gas cloud. The school was immediately evacuated and responding crews donned their self-contained breathing apparatus to proceed to the problem area and mitigate the problem. The school was closed for the day and approximately three hours later the air in the school was declared safe.

 

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Police Reports
Featured Ads
House Ads
AP Video
Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming UN Security Council Calls for Gaza Cease-fire Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow
Opinion
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page