Niagara Gazette

Police Reports

November 16, 2013

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published Nov. 16

For the period of Oct. 28 to Nov. 13, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 208 calls. The total number of service calls for 2013 to date is 5,622.

• INCIDENT: On Oct. 28, Engine 9 and Truck 2, under the direction of Battalion Chief Clifford Mayes, responded, at 10:52 a.m., to the 8400 block of Buffalo Avenue for an ammonia leak at a vacant facility. A cooling line had been cut, resulting in the release of refrigerant into the atmosphere. The surrounding neighborhood was cordoned off by police and the Niagara Falls Air Base Haz-Mat Team assisted firefighters in venting the gas. 

• FIRE: On Oct. 29, a structure fire was reported, at 1:48 a.m., in the 1100 block of Pierce Avenue. A full assignment from Platoon 3 was dispatched. Engine 3’s crew, consisting of Capt. Mike Burke, Firefighters Anthony Ross, Risky Sanabria, and Larry Quarcini, was nearby and returning from another call, so they were able to quickly knock down the fire on the first floor of the vacant house. Fire Investigators found evidence of a flammable liquid at the spot were the fire started. Flammable liquids were also discovered on the second floor of the home. The fast action of Engine 3 firefighters prevented them from being ignited. Damage was pegged at $10,000.

• INCIDENTS: On Nov. 1, a wind storm sent fire department units throughout the city to calls of downed power lines and power pole transformer fires. A power outage in the area of the 700 block of 79th Street caused a home oxygen machine, being used by an invalid, to shut down. Engine 7 was able to hook the patient up to a portable unit and then back to his regular machine when the power came back on.

• GAS LEAK: On Nov. 3, firefighters were called, at 10:59 a.m., to investigate a resident in the 600 block of Chestnut Avenue who was heating his home with his gas oven. The resident was advised that using the stove was not safe because it can lead to a build up of carbon monoxide inside the home.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Police Reports
Featured Ads
House Ads
AP Video
Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow Raw: Deadly Tornado Hits Virginia Campground Ohio State Marching Band Chief Fired After Probe Raw: Big Rig Stuck in Illinois Swamp
Opinion
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page