Blood on trail prompts search
Area law enforcement officials used bloodhounds and a boat Tuesday night and Wednesday morning in search after blood and a sharp instrument was found along a rugged canal path behind Urban Towers.
Before sunset Tuesday, a couple who was walking along the trail, noticed the blood and called police. Lockport police responded and found the blood and a notebook along the steep hillside to the south of the canal, according to Det. Lt. Rick Podgers.
It was human blood, but there have been no reports of a missing person. Police called in a search dog, but with night falling, the search was put on hold until Wednesday morning when the Sheriff’s Office K-9 team was called and Lockport police launched its boat to drag the canal bottom.
The dog’s search went cold at the canal bank, near the Lockport Locks and Erie Canal Cruises.
Miscellaneous objects were found in the canal, but not a body. The search was called off about 2 p.m.
Blood analyses at the Niagara County laboratory showed it was human blood, but it is not known if it is a man or a woman.
Police are waiting to see if someone files a missing person report or finds a body.
• BURGLARY: Police are investigating a burglary in at the Kalfas School in the 1700 block of Beech Avenue. Officers responded to the school at 1:19 a.m. Wednesday and found an open door. They also found a broken skylight over a girls bathroom. Officers said someone sprayed a fire extinguisher in a hallway of the building and activated a fire alarm.
• THEFT: Officers are looking into a theft in the 1200 block of 13th Street. A 23-year-old woman told police that sometime between 1:30 and 2 p.m. Tuesday someone took an air conditioning unit from the front window of her home.
• ARREST: A Falls man was arrested after he was caught stealing soap from a bathroom at the Niagara Falls Municipal Complex in the 1900 block of Main Street. Ronald Edward Proctor, 54, 614 15th St., Apt. 5, was charged with petit larceny. New York State Court officers said they found Proctor in a men’s room of the complex at 9:35 a.m. Tuesday and he had a container of soap hidden in his pants. Proctor told the officers he had previously taken soap from the bathrooms at the complex.
• ARREST: A Falls woman was arrested after a shoplifting incident at a store in the 1500 block of Military Road at 12:46 p.m. Tuesday. Shawnquilla N. Armstrong, 21, 2496 Cudaback Ave., was charged with petit larceny. Armstrong is accused of taking more than $58 worth of merchandise without paying for it.
• THEFT: Police are investigating a theft from the 1300 block of Cleveland Avenue. A 59-year-old man told officers that sometime between 2 p.m. Sunday and 1 p.m. Tuesday, someone took an umbrella awning from his backyard.
• ARREST: A Grand Island man was arrested after a shoplifting incident at a store in the 1500 block of Military Road at 5 p.m. Tuesday. Michael Christopher Wienckowski, 22, 111 Queens St., was charged with petit larceny. Wienckowski is accused of taking three pairs of gym shorts without paying for them.
• ARREST: A Falls woman was arrested after a shoplifting incident at a store in the 1500 block of Military Road at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. Janie L. Reyes, 42, 2777 Livingston Ave., Apt. 1, was charged with petit larceny. Reyes is accused of taking almost $100 worth of merchandise without paying for it.