For the period of Jan. 13 to 26, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 210 calls. The total number of service calls for 2014 to date is 455.
• ACCIDENT: On Jan. 15, a vehicle that struck a house in the 2000 block of Hyde Park Boulevard, at 8:22 a.m., sent Platoon 4 to the scene. Truck 1’s crew, consisting of Capt. Gary Carella and firefighters Jason Cafarella, Frank Casper, and Chris Janese, removed the victim from his vehicle and with the assistance of other crews stabilized his condition before he was transported to a local hospital for further evaluation. The force of the crash knocked the building off its foundation and the house was condemned. None of the occupants were injured.
• ACCIDENT: On Jan. 15, a two-car accident at 3:48 p.m., at the intersection of 16th Street and Walnut Avenue, sent Platoon 4 to the scene. Extrication measures were needed to remove one patient from his rolled-over vehicle. The driver of the other vehicle was also injured. Both were taken to hospitals for further treatment.
• FIRE: On Jan. 22, Platoon 4 sent a full assignment, at 11:22 p.m., to a structure fire in the 200 block of Ferry Avenue. Firefighters saw heavy fire coming from a second-floor apartment when they arrived. Capt. Jeff Frazier, along with firefighters Chris Bodenstein, Chris Janese, and David Soper, stretched a hose line to the heart of the blaze and were able to rapidly put it out. An occupant in an adjacent apartment was rescued by Engine 3’s crew of Capt. Mike Perri and firefighters Eric Abel, Mike Azbell, and Robert Swartz. The cause of the fire was determined to be an accidental electrical short in a junction box. Damage was listed at $50,000.
• FIRE: On Jan. 25, a dryer fire at, 6:17 p.m., in an apartment in Packard Court brought Platoon 4 to the scene. A failure to clean the lint screen was the cause of the fire, which resulted in $300 damage.
• INCIDENT: On Jan. 26, a frozen pipe in the sprinkler system at Niagara Falls High School required Platoon 1 to respond at 11:29 p.m. All companies worked to stop the water flow and clean the floors, which had up to two inches of water on them. The water caused considerable damage.
• NOTE: The extreme cold weather of late has some residents in the city turning to a variety of methods to remain warm. City residents are reminded that they should never use their stove or oven for additional heat. In the case of a gas stove, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can be produced and could cause death. If you use portable heaters, make sure that they are used with adequate ventilation and that you use the proper fuel in the heater. Use only appliances that are certified for by a third party, such as the UL. If you have questions about fire safety, call the Falls Fire Prevention Bureau at 286-4728.