Niagara Gazette

September 15, 2013

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published Sept. 14

Staff Reports
Niagara Gazette

For the period of Sept. 2 to 8, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 109 calls. The total number of service calls for 2013 to date is 4,569.

• FIRE: On Sept. 2, Platoon 4 was sent at 7:18 p.m. to the 3000 block of Falls Street for a report of a smell of smoke in a building, with the smoke detector activated. Responding firefighters found no one home and made a forced entry. They discovered that unattended cooking on the stove was the cause of the smoke and fire. The homeowner arrived a short time later, but not before $300 damage had occurred.

• FIRE: On Sept. 2, a fire at 11:12 p.m. in an industrial facility in the 3100 block of Highland Avenue dispatched Platoon 4 to the scene. A machine that was in the start-up mode caught on fire and caused considerable damage to the unit before the fire was put out.

• FIRE: On Sept. 6, another unattended cooking situation resulted in a fire, at 2:54 p.m., in a home in the 700 block of Seventh Street. Platoon 2 responded and rapidly doused the blaze. Damage was estimated at $2,000 to the structure and $2,000 to the contents. 

• FIRE: On Sept. 7, Platoon 1 responded at 10:03 p.m. to a house fire in the 300 block of 70th Street. A short in the wiring to an appliance was the cause of the fire, which caused $15,000 damage to the structure and $5,000 to the contents. The occupants of the home were also displaced.

• NOTE: Always remember to be careful in the kitchen. Did you know that cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the United States? The kitchen is rife with ways for a fire to start: food left unsupervised on a stove or in an oven or microwave; grease spills; a dish towel too close to at burner on the stove; a toaster or toaster oven flare-up or a coffee pot accidentally left on. Always supervise kids while cooking and practice safe cooking habits such as turning all pot handles in so they can't be accidentally knocked over and not wearing loose-fitting clothing that could catch on fire around the stove.