Niagara Gazette

Police Reports

September 15, 2013

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published Sept. 14

For the period of Sept. 2 to 8, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 109 calls. The total number of service calls for 2013 to date is 4,569.

• FIRE: On Sept. 2, Platoon 4 was sent at 7:18 p.m. to the 3000 block of Falls Street for a report of a smell of smoke in a building, with the smoke detector activated. Responding firefighters found no one home and made a forced entry. They discovered that unattended cooking on the stove was the cause of the smoke and fire. The homeowner arrived a short time later, but not before $300 damage had occurred.

• FIRE: On Sept. 2, a fire at 11:12 p.m. in an industrial facility in the 3100 block of Highland Avenue dispatched Platoon 4 to the scene. A machine that was in the start-up mode caught on fire and caused considerable damage to the unit before the fire was put out.

• FIRE: On Sept. 6, another unattended cooking situation resulted in a fire, at 2:54 p.m., in a home in the 700 block of Seventh Street. Platoon 2 responded and rapidly doused the blaze. Damage was estimated at $2,000 to the structure and $2,000 to the contents. 

• FIRE: On Sept. 7, Platoon 1 responded at 10:03 p.m. to a house fire in the 300 block of 70th Street. A short in the wiring to an appliance was the cause of the fire, which caused $15,000 damage to the structure and $5,000 to the contents. The occupants of the home were also displaced.

• NOTE: Always remember to be careful in the kitchen. Did you know that cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the United States? The kitchen is rife with ways for a fire to start: food left unsupervised on a stove or in an oven or microwave; grease spills; a dish towel too close to at burner on the stove; a toaster or toaster oven flare-up or a coffee pot accidentally left on. Always supervise kids while cooking and practice safe cooking habits such as turning all pot handles in so they can't be accidentally knocked over and not wearing loose-fitting clothing that could catch on fire around the stove.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Police Reports
Featured Ads
House Ads
AP Video
Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow Raw: Deadly Tornado Hits Virginia Campground Ohio State Marching Band Chief Fired After Probe Raw: Big Rig Stuck in Illinois Swamp
Opinion
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page