Niagara Gazette

December 19, 2012

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published Dec. 15

Staff Reports
Niagara Gazette

— For the period of Nov. 26 to Dec. 9, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 260 calls. The total number of service calls for 2012 to date is 5,965.

• FIRE: On Nov. 26, Engine 3 responded, at 2:52 p.m., to a call of an outside rubbish fire in the 1300 block of Centre Avenue. Apparently a man involved in a domestic dispute with his girlfriend started some of her clothes on fire in the backyard. Police took a suspect into custody.

• FIRE: On Nov. 28, Platoon 3 was sent, at 1:13 a.m., to the 600 block of 20th Street for a report of a building fire. Upon arrival, firefighters found several small fires in a vacant apartment that had been started by a flammable liquid. This arson attempt caused $750 damage and remains under investigation.

• FIRE: On Nov. 29, a kitchen fire dispatched Platoon 1, at 3:09 p.m., to the 2000 block of Rhode Island Avenue. A grease build-up inside the oven started the fire and also ignited nearby contents. Damage was estimated at $1,000.

• FIRE: On Nov. 30, a smoking fuse box in a house, at 3:36 p.m., in the 3500 block of Chapin Avenue sent Engine 8 and Fire Investigator Gerald Aderhold to the scene. A combination of overfusing and old wiring was the cause of the fire. Electrical power was shut off to the house and it was condemned until repairs can be made. Damage was set at $1,000.

• INCIDENT: On Dec. 5, Engine 4’s crew, consisting of Captain Jeff Frazier, Firefighters Chris Janese, Justin LaMacchia and Nick Falsetti, responded to a report, at 8:45 p.m., of an odor of smoke in the 1300 block of LaSalle Avenue. There were problems with both furnaces in the two family house that created the smoke. Temporary housing arrangements were made for the occupants of the building.

• INVESTIGATION: Falls firefighters have been called to 217 carbon monoxide investigations since the start of the year. The majority are due to faulty detectors or low batteries in the detector. However, occasionally a serious situation arises. On Dec. 6, at 2 p.m., Platoon 2 was dispatched to the 2000 block of Tennessee Avenue and found one man unconscious and three other people affected by the high level of carbon monoxide in the home. Arriving crews from Truck 1 found extremely dangerous readings of 567 parts per million in the house due to a blocked hot water tank vent. The man who was found unconscious is still hospitalized and is listed in critical condition.

• FIRE: On Nov. 7, firefighters responded to a report, at 3:48 a.m., of a large pile of construction and demolition debris on fire in a lot in the 1500 block of College Avenue. Platoon 1 arrived on the scene and used large hosestreams and heavy equipment to extinguish the blaze. Firefighters were on the scene for about 12 hours.

• NOTE: Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by wood or gas fueled appliances (such as heaters, stoves, water heaters, or dryers) that don’t burn or aren’t vented properly. It can also be created by charcoal grills, automobiles, and fireplaces. Feeling very tired, having long-lasting headaches, nausea, and dizziness are some symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Sometimes people may think they have the flu.You should also be suspicious if other people in the house are experiencing these same symptoms at the same time. The New York State Fire Code requires that all dwellings have a carbon monoxide alarm on the lowest level of a home with a sleeping area or any level with a potential source of carbon monoxide.