Niagara Gazette

October 5, 2013

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published Oct. 5

Staff Reports
Niagara Gazette

For the period of Sept. 23 to 29 the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 152 calls. The total number of service calls for 2013 to date is 4,945.

• FIRE: On Sept. 23, Engine 4's crew, consisting of Captain Jason Zona and Firefighters Brian Stearns, Scott Furman, and Silvio Martelli, was sent at 11:12 p.m. to the 800 block of 16th Street for a report of a vehicle fire. Upon arrival, they encountered heavy fire in the engine compartment of a 2001 Buick that had recently had maintenance performed on it. The fire was determined to be accidental, due to an electrical malfunction. Damage was listed at $4,000.

• FIRE: On Sept. 24, Platoon 1 responded at 7:04 a.m. to a garage fire in the 6000 block of Devlin Avenue. Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the flames, but not before $7,000 damage occurred to the building and contents. The cause remains undetermined and under investigation.

• FIRE: On Sept. 25, Platoon 3 was called at 5:54 p.m. to the 2700 block of Welch Avenue for a report of a building fire. Firefighters discovered a shed on fire in the back yard of a home. The fire caused $200 damage to the shed. A juvenile is being questioned in connection with the fire.

• FIRE: On Sept. 28, a call of a building fire at 4:46 p.m. in a large apartment complex in the 250 block of Rainbow Boulevard sent Platoon 2 to the scene. Although the fire was confined to the kitchen area of one apartment there was considerable smoke damage. The fire was caused by unattended cooking.

• FIRE: On Sept. 28, a vehicle accident at 7:59 p.m. in the 1800 block of Hyde Park Boulevard required 13 firefighters from Platoon 2 to respond. Truck 1's crew, consisting of Captain Angela Gebauer, Firefighters Chris Ambrosia, Chris Finitz, and Mike Naccarato, used the Jaws of Life and other specialized hydraulic tools to free the victims from the vehicle. One woman was transported to a local hospital, and two children were taken to Children's Hospital in Buffalo for further evaluation of their injuries.