Niagara Gazette

Police Reports

June 14, 2014

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published June 14

For the period of May 19 to 25, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 113 calls. The total number of service calls for 2014 to date is 2,451.

• FIRE: On May 21, Engine 3 and Truck 1 were dispatched at 3:34 a.m. to a fire in a 2004 Chrysler in the 1500 block of Calumet Avenue. The fire was determined to have been intentionally set and caused $2,000 damage. Fire and police arson investigators are looking into the incident.

• ACCIDENT: On May 21, firefighters responded at 4:31 p.m. to a 9-year-old boy who had been struck by a car in the 3000 block of Niagara Street. The boy suffered two broken legs. Engine 8's crew, which consisted of Captain Jeffrey Meacham and Firefighters Eric Abel, Micah Carey, and Derek DeFazio, splinted the boys legs and he was transported to Womens and Children's Hospital by ambulance for further treatment.

• FIRE: On May 22, Platoon 3 sent a full assignment at 9:43 p.m. to an apartment in Packard Court for a call of a building fire. Upon arrival, crews encountered a large amount of fire in the living room. The was caused by an electrical problem. Damage to the structure was listed at $20,000 and damage to the contents was set at $15,000.

• FIRE: On May 23, crews from Platoon 4 responded at 1:51 p.m. to the 700 block of 82nd Street for a working structure fire. Recent remodeling work at the house had accidentally severed a service electrical line, which then shorted-out and caused the fire. Damage to the building and contents was pegged at $21,000.

• RESCUE: On May 24, Truck 1 was sent at 11:46 a.m. to the 3200 block of Porter Road to rescue six ducklings who had fallen through a storm sewer grate. As the anxious mother paced around, the crew was able to go down into the sewer and successfully reunite the family.

• NOTE: You should always look around your house for potential electrical safety problems. But unless you"re a trained electrician, be careful about do-it-yourself repair projects. Studies have shown that many home fires are caused by improper installation of electrical devices. Replace or professionally repair any appliances that spark, smell unusual, or overheat. Don't run electrical wires under rugs. Make sure lamps and night-lights are not touching bedspreads, drapes or other fabrics. Don't let kids use kitchen appliances by themselves and supervise any art or science projects that involve electrical devices.Cover any outlets that are not in use with plastic covers if you have toddlers or young children in your home.

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Police Reports
Featured Ads
House Ads
AP Video
Disabled Veterans Memorial Nearing Completion Last Mass Lynching in U.S. Remains Unsolved Home-sharing Programs Help Seniors Clinton: "AIDS-Free Generation Within Our Reach" Ex-NYC Mayor: US Should Allow Flights to Israel Judge Ponders Overturning Colo. Gay Marriage Ban Airlines Halt Travel to Israel Amid Violence NYPD Chief Calls for 'use of Force' Retraining VA Nominee McDonald Goes Before Congress Bush: Don't Worry, Sugarland Isn't Breaking Up US Official: Most Migrant Children to Be Removed Police Probing Brooklyn Bridge Flag Switch CDC Head Concerned About a Post-antibiotic Era Raw: First Lady Says `Drink Up' More Water Courts Conflicted Over Healthcare Law Holder Urges Bipartisanship on Immigration Raw: Truck, Train Crash Leads to Fireball US Airlines Cancel Israel Flights Obama Signs Workforce Training Law Crash Victims' Remains Reach Ukraine-held City
Opinion
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page