Niagara Gazette

Police Reports

August 17, 2013

FIRE CALLS: Niagara Falls fire reports published Aug. 17

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 278 incidents during the period of July 29 and Aug. 11 bringing the yearly total to 4,089 incidents. 

• FIRE: A report of a structure fire in the 1300 block of Cleveland Avenue sent a full assignment from Platoon 4 to the scene at 1:39 a.m. onJuly 31. Upon arrival, crews discovered a 46-year-old woman who had suffered severe third-degree burns from a couch fire that was the result of careless smoking. The woman remains in critical condition at Erie County Medical Center.

• HAZMAT: Platoon 2 responded to the 2400 block of Ferry Avenue for a call of two explosions in a garbage can at 3:11 p.m. on Aug. 5. A local resident had found three two-liter bottles near his backyard that were filled with an unknown liquid and he deposited them in his garbage can. A short time later he heard two explosions in the can. Fire investigators determined that the third bottle was still intact and as a precaution called for the Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station Haz-Mat team to respond. It was ascertained that the two exploded containers were "drano bombs" and it was decided to relieve the pressure on the third container by puncturing it. Firefighter Gary Pochatko donned full protective gear and used a pike pole to accomplish this. An investigation is ongoing.

• VEHICLE FIRE: Engine 4 and Truck 1 were called to the 400 block of 22nd St. for a vehicle fire at 2:18 p.m. on Aug. 6. They encountered a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer fully involved in fire-initiating from the engine compartment. A mechanical malfunction was determined to be the cause of the fire which resulted in $3500 damage.

• NATURAL GAS LEAK: A vehicle crashed into a house in the 300 block of 80th St. and severed a pipe on the gas meter at 7:06 a.m. on Aug. 8. Platoon 4, under the direction of Battalion Chief Mark Gray,were able to divert the free flowing natural gas safely to the outside of the house until National Fuel could respond and make the necessary repairs. Crews remained on the scene for two hours and damage to the house was estimated at $3,000.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Police Reports
Featured Ads
House Ads
AP Video
Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow Raw: Deadly Tornado Hits Virginia Campground Ohio State Marching Band Chief Fired After Probe Raw: Big Rig Stuck in Illinois Swamp
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page