Running red light leads police to revoked driver
A 70-year-old Falls man driving despite having his driver's license suspended five different times, faces a host of charges after a traffic stop Thursday night.
A Niagara County Sheriff's deputy on patrol on Niagara Falls Boulevard about 8 p.m. said he saw John R. Hanson drive through a red light in front of the Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls. Upon being pulled over, Hanson said he knew he had driven through the red light explaining he didn't want to spin out if he hit his brakes. The deputy noted there was no snow on the road at the time.
After checking Hanson's license it was determined it had been revoked on five separate occasions.
Hanson, 70, 7741 Third Ave., was charged with second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, driving with a suspended registration, no insurance, circumventing an interlock device and running a red light.
• ARREST: A Niagara Falls woman was arrested on drunken driving and other charges after a traffic stop on Hyde Park Boulevard at 11:45 p.m. Thursday. Kimberly E. Woods, 37, 426 21st St., Apt. 2, was charged with aggravated DWI, DWI, unreasonable speed, tailgating, passing a red light and endangering the welfare of a child.
• THEFT: Officers are looking into a car break-in in the 2200 block of Hyde Park Boulevard. A 21-year-old woman told police that sometime between 5:30 and 6:40 p.m. Thursday someone broke into her 2009 Pontiac Vibe by smashing the front passenger-side window. The victim said a GPS system, a Blue-Tooth and a large quantity of cash was taken.
• BURGLARY: Police are investigating a burglary in the 1900 block of Jersey Avenue. A 44-year-old man told officers that sometime between 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and 8:50 a.m. Wednesday someone broke into his business by smashing the glass window on the front door. The victim said a small amount of cash was taken from a safe,
• THEFT: Officers are looking into a car break-in in the 800 block of Division Avenue. A 35-year-old man told police that sometime between 11:30 p.m. Wednesday and 6 a.m. Thursday, someone broke into his 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix by unknown means. The victim said a radar detector, a large quantity of CDs and 40 Suboxone strips were taken.
• ARREST: A Falls man was arrested after a shoplifting incident at a store in the 1000 block of Portage Road at 9 a.m. Wednesday. Brian Kelly Garlow, 51, 1511 Pierce Ave., was charged with petit larceny. Garlow is accused of taking two bottles of Milwauke Beer without paying for them.