- GUEST VIEW: Veteran grades recent Niagara-Wheatfield school board meeting It's been a long time since I attended a Niagara-Wheatfield School District school board meeting. I attended the meeting on Feb. 12 and here are some of my observations of the evening's events. I will grade them accordingly.
- BRADBERRY: Looking back to see ahead; historical fortune telling Like hundreds of other Niagarans and former Niagara Falls residents now living in other various places around the world, I received some very exciting news in my email yesterday from our precious local "Towne Crier", my friend and colleague, Norma Higgs.
- CONFER: The importance of Boy Scouts in America What do Gerald Ford, Neil Armstrong, and William DeVries have in common?
- HIGGS: St. Mary's former spiritual leaders and its complex A few comments follow about some of the more recent religious leaders of St. Mary of the Cataract that I had the pleasure of meeting over the years:
- GLYNN: Mayors say their efforts are slighted Mayors from towns and villages across the Empire State aren't exactly enamored with Gov. Cuomo's proposal for that two percent tax freeze over the next couple of years. Under the Cuomo plan, local governments that adopt austerity measures to contain their growth under the cap would be entitled to property tax rebates.
- SINGER: The demise of the middle class Most everyone who disserts these days on problems of the middle class -- its growth, diminution, even survival -- does so in purely economic terms; however, this kind of focus is too narrow. Yes, the middle class seems threatened, but not simply due to dollars and cents, or the lack thereof.
- LETTERS FROM THE ISLAND: A proper salute for the Island's 'Uncle Sam' It's not every day they send off Uncle Sam with a 21-gun salute, and for many in the front rows at Island Presbyterian Church last Saturday, it's just as well.
- GUEST VIEW: Education Investment Tax Credit would help all schools The New York State Legislature is considering a bill to increase investment in education in New York state: the Education Investment Tax Credit Act. This bill to create a new state tax credit would provide a dollar-for-dollar credit against New York personal income, corporate franchise, bank and insurance taxes for donations to education-related entities, up to a maximum of 75 percent of tax liability.
- HAMILTON: Make black history, instead of just skipping it When Niagara Falls Chief of Police John Chella retired, fellow citizen and former City Administrator Bill Bradberry and I sent an email to Mayor Paul Dyster asking him to consider interviewing a black police chief to replace him.
GLYNN: Niagara's scenic ice bridge marred by tragedy
That footage on the television news showing the Crystal Beach ice caves -- luring several thousand visitors along the Lake Erie shoreline -- conjures up thoughts of beauty and disaster at Niagara Falls.
- More Opinion Headlines