Niagara Gazette

Opinion

December 3, 2012

HIGGS: The rise of Auxiliary of NFMMC

(Continued)

Niagara Gazette — The Board of Trustees officially recognized the volunteers in 1910 and Ann Walbridge Bowen was the first president. When Memorial reached a more stable position in 1913, they were able to hire a business manager and the auxiliary continued in a different role. Their mission became one that would provide hospital care for needy patients. Mrs. Clinton Daggett led this project and the auxiliary raised the money through charity balls, card parties, rummage sales and magazine subscriptions. It was named the Free Bed Service and continued serving the community until 1948 providing free hospital care to 419 patients.

The charity balls were held at the State Armory on Main Street in the early days charging $5 per couple and offering private “boxes” for $20. There was even a $1 viewing area for people watching for those unable to purchase a ticket. Later they moved to the Cataract House, the Prospect House, Hotel Niagara, the Parkway Inn and the Niagara Falls Country Club. The last ball was held in 1996 following a period of discontinuance during the war years.

During the war years the membership dropped to just 11 members holding only two meetings between 1941 and 1949. They regrouped under the leadership of Marian Butler who was appointed president by the Hospital’s Board of Trustees. The goal was to raise $1 million for a new maternity center, keep the Corner Shop operational and other projects. The Charity Ball resumed again in 1950, the auxiliary members began serving in the coffee shop, other popular projects such as the baby photo project were added and a scholarship fund was established. The volunteer photographers started wearing a cherry smock which was formally adopted by the auxiliary in 1955.

By 1956 membership was at a peak of 240 and once again they were asked to volunteer in the hospital business offices and other operational divisions within the hospital. Volunteer hours were recorded starting in 1958 and 1,744 hours were counted that first year. Other projects taken on by this ambitious group was the establishment of a Memorial Social Services Department. The auxiliary funded education expenses and partially paid the salary of a medical social worker. They later funded the salary of the first Director of Volunteers in 1961.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Opinion
Featured Ads
House Ads
AP Video
Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow Raw: Deadly Tornado Hits Virginia Campground Ohio State Marching Band Chief Fired After Probe Raw: Big Rig Stuck in Illinois Swamp
Opinion
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page