Niagara Gazette — Recently, news stories across the country have been warning about the increase in use and the dangers of the club drug called “Molly.”
Molly (short for molecules) is the powdered form of MDMA, which is the chemical used in Ecstasy. Molly is considered to be a much more pure and powerful form of MDMA.
Last month, New York’s Electric Zoo Festival ended early after two people died of suspected Molly overdoses. Recently, there was also a Molly overdose suspected at Boston’s House of Blues. This is not a new drug but rather a synthetic form of MDMA that is gaining popularity among teens and college students.
Molly, available mainly in a colorful tablet form, is popular at concerts, music festivals, raves and other places where young people congregate. Many famous recording artists including Madonna, Miley Cyrus and Kanye West have popularized Molly in their music. The interest generated by these “role models” has helped fuel interest in the drug in our young adults.
One of the methods used to track the pattern of use of an illegal drug is to monitor emergency room visits. Unfortunately, emergency rooms across the country are reporting a spike in overdoses attributed to Molly.
The drug can cause confusion, anxiety, depression, paranoia, sleep problems and drug cravings. It can also produce muscle tension, tremors, teeth clenching, chills and severe sweating. This synthetic drug interferes with the body’s ability to regulate body temperature, which leads to dehydration and the possibility of liver, kidney and even cardiovascular failure.
The abuse of this drug is especially dangerous because people don’t know what other substances are mixed with it or the level of purity. Much Molly production is done in homegrown labs overseas by people with limited pharmacological or medical knowledge, who have no consideration for the welfare of the user.