Niagara Gazette — The village of Niagara Falls grew in population and industry after the Civil War and the parish began again to think about a new church. A committee was formed in 1871 with Daniel J. Townsend as the chairman and Dexter Jerauld and Solon Myron Napoleon Whitney (Commonly known as “The Major”) as committeemen along with Rector Rev. Myron A. Johnson who was considered a “man of action and accomplishment.” The following year they presented plans which included moving the church to a new property and offered a design plan by Henry Dudley of New York City. Dudley was born in England, came to America following his education and designed 162 churches during the 1800s, alone and with various business associates. The 50th anniversary program document states “The building speaks clearly of his skill and of his artistic taste which follows closely that of the first great master of church architecture in America, Richard Upjohn.” To be continued.Norma Higgs serves with the Niagara Beautification Commission and Niagara Falls Block Club Council.