Niagara Gazette

Opinion

November 10, 2013

GLYNN: Early birds will witness fort assault as War of 1812 springs to life in Youngstown

Niagara Gazette — If you’re really interested in getting an accurate glimpse of local history, mark the calendar for about 4 a.m. Dec. 19.

The British troops (reenactors) will once again assault Fort Niagara at 5 a.m., precisely 200 years after they seized the vital post in 1813. The public is invited to the free event, a fort spokesman said, but spectators must arrive between 4:30 a.m. and 4:45 a.m.  

After the fort is captured, the soldiers will recreate the burning of Youngstown during a ceremony at 7:15 a.m. in Faulkner Park. Flares lit in the park will symbolize the destruction of the small village two centuries ago. (Earlier, the Americans troops had wreaked havoc on Newark.)

Robert Emerson, executive director of the Old Fort Niagara Association, says the committee is planning a community breakfast that will begin a 7:30 p.m. at restaurants in the village. Two presentations are scheduled at St. John’s Episcopal Church, Main Street. At 8:15 a.m., Anne Marie Linnaberry of the Niagara County Historical Society will provide a power point talk on the War of 1812 and “Niagara on Fire,” a short film focusing on the burning of Newark (now Niagara-on-the-Lake) will be shown at 9 a.m.

That same morning students from Lewiston-Porter, Wilson, Tuscarora Elementary and Stella Niagara will arrive at the fort for an interpretive program about the 1813 attack. Later, they will go into the village to one of four sites where they’ll learn about civilian life in those days and the impact of the war on the local residents.

That night, people will gather for the “Flames through Lewiston” reenactment and the unveiling of the Tuscarora Heroes monument at Center Street and Portage Road, Lewiston. More details to come.

•••

A KEY POST: It’s nice to see Ray Wigle, a veteran of Niagara area tourism, back in the local hospitality industry. He was the communications director of the former Niagara Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau and later operations director at Old Fort Niagara. Wigle now serves as director of development at the Niagara County History Center for the Erie Canal Discovery Center, Lockport.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Opinion
Featured Ads
House Ads
AP Video
Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming UN Security Council Calls for Gaza Cease-fire Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow
Opinion
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page