Niagara Gazette — Bishop Hobart died the following September and was succeeded as Bishop by Rev. Benjamin Tredwell Onderdonk who also made the long trip to visit the parish and administer confirmation to William G. Tuttle, Mary A. Tuttle, Abel M. Swallow, Christiana Hooker, Christiana Hooker, 2nd, Rachel Hooker and Mary Merry. Samuel DeVeaux and his wife Sarah had previously made the long trip and were confirmed by Bishop Hobart in Trinity Church, New York City.
During the late 1830’s the parish began to diminish as many families moved from the village and perhaps some loss of interest led to the fact that by 1839, the family of Samuel DeVeaux was the only family tied to regular services, read occasionally by the clergyman at Lewiston. By the 1840s, population began to grow in Niagara Falls and there was increased demand for regular church services. As the parish grew, DeVeaux began to gather support for a new Episcopal Church, as over the course of the lean years the little chapel had come to be known as “the Methodist Church.” It stood near the foot of Falls Street on part of the site of the International Theater.
In 1846, momentum for a new church and rectory increased thanks to Mr. George W. Holley who was executor of the Estate of General Peter B. Porter. The heirs consented to the donation of two village lots on the east side of First Street in the middle of the block between Falls and Niagara. The more southerly lot, nearly opposite the beginning of Thomas Street, was to be the site of the new church building with rectory to be one lot or 60 feet further toward Niagara Street.
Also accomplished at this time was the proclamation of Bishop DeLancey which rendered a formal opinion that Christ Church Corporation was null and void. On Aug. 22, 1846, he certified in writing his canonical consent to “the organization and incorporation of a Protestant Episcopal Church at Niagara falls, Niagara County.” A certificate of incorporation was filed in the Niagara County Clerk’s office on December 31, 1846 stating in part” … it is proposed that the title of the church shall be that of the first Apostle of Our Lord, St. Peter.” The certificate also stated “… but we also desire to bestow a deserved compliment upon Peter A. Porter and Elizabeth L. Porter, his sister, who have out of the estate of the late General Peter B. Porter, their father, bestowed two lots of land in this village, one for a site on which to build a church, and one for a parsonage house, and who are in other respects liberally and actively promoting the interests of the Church.” Stay tuned.Norma Higgs serves with the Niagara Beautification Commission and Niagara Falls Block Club Council.