- Night & Day
CALLERI: From Rome with love and beauty and a performance for the ages
Unless you’ve seen “Il Divo,” which is about Italy’s seven-time prime minister Giulio Andreotti, or the Italian crime drama “Gomorrah,” both released internationally, you probably haven’t seen their star Toni Servillo in a movie. The spelling of his first name may seem female to Americans, but the 54-year old Servillo is a true Renaissance man, one of Italy’s most illustrious actors and theater and opera directors.
Burlesque to Broadway set for three-day run at Seneca Casino
This week the Seneca Niagara Casino hosts an exclusive three-night run of the show “Burlesque to Broadway” starring Quinn Lemley. About a month ago, the show’s publicist reached out to me by phone to see if I would be interested in interviewing Lemley about the show, and when my wife overheard I was considering covering a “burlesque” show, she dismissed it as a form of striptease.
- Artist Vena DiBernardo and family focus of upcoming show Each person inherits much of who they are from their parents such as their hair or eye color, their smile or their laugh, but in the case of Vena DiBernardo, his children inherited something more.
- JENNINGS: Spotlight shines on lesser-known acts this weekend There is a great variety of acts to choose from this weekend, including a legendary Canadian band, a couple of indie rock offerings, a birthday celebration and the former star of MTVâ€™s â€œJackassâ€� will all be in the area.
- Kenan to show work of Buff State professor Lin Xia Jiang The Kenan Center is set to host a new exhibit, "UnreLuctant: A Solo Exhibit of Paintings by Lin Xia Jiang," from Sunday through Feb. 16. The exhibit will feature 40 figurative and landscape paintings, many of the Lockport area.
- Falls library hosting family learning series The Niagara Falls Public Library is hosting a series of programs through Young Audiences of Western New York as part of the Art Partners for Learning Initiative.
- CALLERI: Murder among the Beats, and the best films of 2013 In "Kill Your Darlings," Daniel Radcliffe attempts to throw off the mantle of Harry Potter and succeeds, proving that he has immense talent.
- 'Wicked' casts a new spell on Shea's with month-long engagement Long before Dorothy and Toto landed in Oz, there were two friends who eventually become known as Glinda the Good and the Wicked Witch of the West.
- JENNINGS: Mike Epps ready to warm things up A couple of rock bands from the 1990s and a famous comedian top the list of things to do this weekend. After a week of sitting home and singing â€œBaby Itâ€™s Cold Outsideâ€� you may want to go out and catch a live show.
- CALLERI: Meryl Streep makes 'August' bearable Where would the movies be without Meryl Streep? She is our greatest living film actress. Streep is the best thing about "August: Osage County," the main reason to see it.
- More Night & Day Headlines
- CALLERI: From Rome with love and beauty and a performance for the ages