Niagara Gazette — As a follow up to its 40th anniversary celebration of 16 temporary installations in 2013, Artpark will continue its visual arts renaissance and bring more artwork into the park this summer. Six large-scale, semi-permanent sculptures will be constructed in the Historic Artpark Woods and along the red brick road.
The installations are part of Artpark’s effort to turn the trail in the woods into a sculpture trail with more installations to follow in the coming years.
“We want to invite patrons to explore Artpark’s wonderful woods trails and appreciate the beauty of nature as well as the aesthetic of site-specific installation,” said Tanis Winslow, Artpark’s director of visual arts & family programs. “This effort coincides with the new free chamber music concerts that will be debuting on the old storytelling stage in the woods in July and August. The idea being to get people walking, discovering and enjoying the historic trails through the woods.”
The installations are free to view and spectators are encouraged while the artists are working in the park. For more info and photos, visit www.artpark.net.
Artpark Working Artists schedule for 2014:
• Gabriella D’Angelo: Installation complete, Located at Richard’s Marsh (Enter Artpark at 4th Street, the marsh is located at the foot of the Red Brick Road)
• Colleen Toledano: Installation through Thursday. Located in Artpark Woods (Enter Artpark at 4th Street) at Oak Hill Project entrance, to the right walking up the incline.)
• Sarah McNutt and Nathanial Hall: Instillation wrapping up today. Located in Artpark Woods at Oak Hill Project Entrance (Enter Artpark at 4th street first trail on left after toll booth)
• Frank O’Connor: Instillation complete. Located along Parking Lot B, by Clay Studio (Enter Artpark at Portage Road)
• Sue Berkey: Instillation set for Wednesday and Thursday. Located in Artpark Woods (site TBD)
• Karen Sirgey: Instillation set for Wednesday and Thursday. Located in Artpark Woods (site TBD)