Niagara Gazette — The new season of Broadway shows coming to Shea's Buffalo will include fan favorites "War Horse," "Wicked," and "Evita."
The list of upcoming productions for Shea’s Performing Arts Center features multiple Tony-Award winning shows and brand new tours.
"The season we are introducing includes five Tony award-winning shows that were on Broadway last season," said Anthony Conte, president of Shea’s, thanking the Buffalo Niagara community for its support of the theater over the past few years. "It is only through their support of our programming that this is possible. Also, in response to the audience surveys we have conducted over the past few years, we are excited to be presenting a dramatic play as part of our upcoming season.”
The 2013-2014 M & T Bank Broadway Series includes:
• "GHOST THE MUSICAL" (Oct. 15-20) The musical features an original pop score from multiple Grammy Award-winners Dave Stewart, one half of the '80s pop duo the Eurythmics, and Glen Ballard, co-writer with Alanis Morissette on the multi-platinum album "Jagged Little Pill." The musical’s tale of everlasting love is thrilling entertainment for audiences of all ages.
• "WAR HORSE" (Nov. 12-17) This moving and imaginative drama, filled with stirring music and songs, is a show of phenomenal inventiveness that is currently playing to packed houses in London and around the world. At its heart are astonishing life-sized puppets created by South Africa’s Handspring Puppet Company, that bring to life breathing, galloping, charging horses strong enough for men to ride.“
• "DR. SUESS' HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS" (Dec. 17-22) The Broadway holiday sensation, which features the hit songs “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” and “Welcome Christmas,” from the original animated series, makes its long awaited Buffalo debut. Max the Dog narrates as the mean and scheming Grinch. The sets are inspired by Dr. Seuss’ original illustrations and help transport audiences to the whimsical world of Whoville.
• "WICKED" (Jan. 8-26, 2014) Each time it plays at Shea's, "Wicked" breaks box office records and sells out. Winner of 35 major awards, including a Grammy and three Tony Awards, "Wicked" tells the story that happens long before that girl from Kansas arrives in Munchkinland, when two young witches meet in the land of Oz.
• "THE GERSHWIN'S PORGY AND BESS" (March 11-16, 2014) Winner of the 2012 Tony Award for Best Revival of a Musical, "The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess" includes such legendary songs as “Summertime,” “It Ain’t Necessarily So,” and “I Got Plenty of Nothing.” The musical brings George and Ira Gershwin’s legendary masterwork to the Broadway stage for the first time in more than 35 years.
• "EVITA" (June 10-15, 2014) This Tony Award-winning musical returns to Shea's with the story of Eva Perón meteoric rise from the slums of Argentina to the presidential mansion as first lady. Adored by her people as a champion for the poor, she became one of the most powerful women in the world — while her greed, outsized ambition and fragile health made her one of the most tragic. The musical features some of theater's most popular songs, including "Don't Cry for Me Argentina."
Season tickets to the Broadway Series are on sale now. Call 847-0850 or visit to www.sheas.org or go to the Shea’s Ticket Office, 650 Main Street. Subscribers will have the opportunity to purchase the Special Engagements "Wicked" and "I Love Lucy" at the time of their renewal or new order of Broadway Series season tickets. Upcoming single ticket on sale dates will be posted to www.sheas.org when that information becomes available.