Niagara Gazette

July 23, 2010

Fire calls: Published July 24, 2010

Niagara Gazette

NIAGARA FALLS — Niagara Falls

Fire Department

Calls for service

For the period of July 16 to 22, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 133 calls.

• INCIDENT: On July 16, SPCA of Niagara Director John Faso requested assistance from Platoon 4 Truck 1 to gain entry into a vehicle owned by a tourist from Alabama parked in the city lot at Third Street and Rainbow Boulevard to free two dogs in distress due to the extreme heat as the outside temperature hovered around 90 degrees. The animals were left in the care of the SPCA.

• INCIDENT: On Sunday, fire crews were called to 1921 Falls St. to investigate an attempted arson. Someone threw a flammable device onto the porch of the structure. The fire was quickly extinguished. Fire Marshal Carl Parker is continuing to investigate the incident along with the Falls police detectives.

• FIRE: On Sunday, a 1982 21-foot Four Wins boat, caught fire in the Niagara River and was towed by the Coast Guard to a dock on Rivershore Drive. Fire crews from Platoon 1 Engine 9 were called to the scene to extinguish a rekindle of the fire. The fire is being investigated by the Niagara County Sheriff’s Department.

• FIRE: On Monday, fire crews from Platoon 1 led by Battalion Chief Patrick Martin were called to the Niagara Falls Water Treatment Plant in the 5800 block of  Buffalo Avenue to investigate smoke in the building. Fire crews determined that a rooftop air cooling system had overheated and shorted out causing damage to the system.

• FIRE: On Thursday, Firefighters responded at a fire call at 8:10 p.m. at 1856 Cleveland Ave. The fire was confined to the outside of the structure, causing only minor damage. The cause is considered suspicious and is under investigation.

• JOB WELL DONE: On Monday, four off-duty Niagara Falls firefighters were enjoying a beautiful summer evening at the Water Street Landings “Clam Slam” in Lewiston when a fellow patron was stricken with an apparent heart attack. Firefighters Tom Colangelo, Jeff Frazier, Brian Patronski and Tom Tedesco jumped into action performing CPR until rescue crews arrived and were able to “shock” the patient back to life. The patient was then transported to an area hospital and is reported to be in fair condition. NOTE: Take a CPR class and you may save someone’s life someday. Contact the American Heart Association at 564 1100 or the American Red Cross at 434 8876 for class information.