Niagara Gazette — LOCKPORT — The third and final suspect facing a trial in connection with a South End shootout has taken a plea deal from prosecutors.
In a brief proceeding in Niagara County Court Wednesday morning, Jacob Taggart pleaded guilty to a single count of attempted second-degree gang assault. He faces a maximum term of seven years behind bars when he and his two co-defendants, Paul Buck and Marlyn Rubin, are sentenced on March 21.
Buck and Rubin each previously pleaded guilty to a single count of second-degree assault in the case. Like Taggart, they will each face a maximum seven year prison sentence.
Judge Matthew J. Murphy III has no commitment on a cap on the number of years that any of the three men may serve.
The trio were accused of spraying bullets at the corner of 12th and Niagara streets during a confrontation with a group of men who were standing there in April.
During his plea hearing, Buck admitted to being a “shooter” during the incident. At his plea proceeding, Rubin said Taggart was also armed with a gun.
The victim of the shooting said he saw two gunmen firing at him.
However, Taggart told Murphy only that he was in a car with Buck and Rubin and had driven them to the confrontation “for a fistfight.”
The three men had faced charges of first-degree assault and first-degree reckless endangerment
Detectives insisted the trio were all involved in the hail of gunfire that left a Falls teen with gunshot wounds to his arm and chest.
Witnesses told detectives a dark-colored car, with three men inside, rolled up on a group of young men who were gathered on the street corner. The suspects in the car then reportedly tried to start a fight with the men who were on