Niagara Gazette — Some timely advice for motorists heading across the border. Whether it's to cottage country in Ontario or shopping malls on this side. A few tips to expedite your travel:
• Before you start, call 1-800-715-6722 for updated reports on wait times to cross Rainbow, Whirlpool and Lewiston-Queenston bridges. Also, you can visit niagarafallsbridges.com on your web-enabled device or follow @NiagaraBridges on Twitter.
• If traveling with children under 16 years of age and not part of your immediate family, you'll need to produce a parental note of permission regarding cross-border travel. The note should include each child's parental contact information and telephone numbers.
• Be sure to declare all fruits, vegetables, plant and plant products, animals, birds, meat, as well as items acquired for personal use.
• Your trunk should be empty except for essential luggage or vacation supplies. Additional belongings in the car will only add time to your crossing.
• Turn off radios and cell phones when approaching Customs inspection booths and speaking with officers. Also, remove sunglasses and make contact with the Customs officers.
Source: Niagara Falls Bridge Commission