BY Tim Schmitt
BUFFALO — Top row, bottom row, doesn’t matter; Jessica LaPoint is in the game.
LaPoint, a North Tonawanda native, sat with her sister Katie and friend Erin Dotterweich in the last row of HSBC Arena for Game 2 of the Buffalo Sabres first round playoff series with the Philadelphia Flyers on Monday night.
For LaPoint, this hockey stuff is serious business, the 28-year-old school teacher cut her Florida vacation short to get home for Game 1 on Saturday. She’s even named her cat “Sabre.”
“I’m obsessed,” she admits. “When I lived in Virginia my license plates said ‘Iluvsabres’ and now that I’ve moved home they say ‘puck it.’ I’m not a little obsessed, I’m a lot.”
LaPoint isn’t alone in her passion. As the games get more important and the tickets climb sharply in price — aside from those bought by season ticket holders — the breed of fan changes.
Through the season, the Sabres used innovative ticket pricing to keep the game affordable for everyone. For example, tickets for LaPoint’s seats on March 22 against then-conference leading Carolina were $17.
Her ticket for Monday’s game was $60.
But still, Sabres playoff tickets — like those during the regular season — are among the lowest in the league.
The team used another clever marketing maneuver prior to the team’s first playoff appearance in four years — allowing those who purchased season tickets for next year to get reduced tickets for this year’s playoffs.
Lockport’s Paul Antonio took the hook.
He bought three tickets for the playoffs so he can take his 6-year-old son, Cameron, and his wife Karen to all the games.
“What it boils down to is $39 a game to be in the 100 level,” Antonio said. “We hadn’t considered season tickets before. But when you factor in the playoffs, because you expect to spend about $100 a ticket then, we deducted those dollars and figure it’s like thirty bucks a game for next year. The way I figured it, I expected to pay $100 for one ticket, now it’s $100 for the three of us.”
BY Tim Schmitt
- Local News
Falls police send Emergency Response Team officers into shooting hot spots Saturday night
It was plainclothes detectives searching for suspects on Friday night and well-armed Emergency Response Team officers patrolling hot spots from late Saturday night until early Sunday morning.
Coast Guard rescues three from disabled sailboat near Youngstown
The U.S. Coast Guard says it has rescued three people from a disabled sailboat on Lake Ontario.
- Cuomo defends handling of corruption panel during Buffalo visit Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday defended his handling of an anti-corruption commission, dismissing reportsU that his administration interfered with its work.
Lottery tickets and $10 taken in Lockport bowling alley burglary
Niagara County Sheriff's deputies were called to Allie Brandt Lanes on Lincoln Avenue early Sunday morning after staff discovered the bowling alley had been burglarized.
- IN BUSINESS: ReNU director named to '30 Under 30' list Tom Lowe, director of ReNU Niagara, has been named to the 2014 class of Buffalo Business First's 30 Under 30 honorees. The award recognizes 30 Western New Yorkers in the early stages of their careers who are achieving at high levels at work and in the community.
- Charles Walker hasn't filed campaign finance reports since early 2013 Council Chairman Charles Walker has not filed campaign finance reports since January of 2013.
- Campaign account's gone but Bob Anderson undecided about future term City Councilman Robert Anderson Jr. terminated his campaign finance account with the state's board of elections two years ago, but that doesn't mean he is out of politics after his current term ends.
- Niagara County Board of Health opposes CWM expansion County health officials discussed the proposed Chemical Waste Management expansion and they're opposition to it Thursday during a Niagara County Board of Health meeting.
- Niagara County health care consortium study begins Twenty of the 21 municipalities in Niagara County have signed on to a feasibility study examining how a health care consortium would work countywide.
Man threatening to blow up home led to James Drive closure in Lewiston
A Lewiston man threatening to ignite gasoline with a flare gun if anyone approached his home led police to shut down James Drive and evacuate nearby residents for about three hours Sunday afternoon.
- More Local News Headlines
- Falls police send Emergency Response Team officers into shooting hot spots Saturday night