Niagara Gazette — ALBANY — They were privates and officers hailing from American colonies from New England to Maryland, raw teenagers and aging veterans alike, and they shared a common fate: All "died at Fishkill."
Research conducted by a local historical organization has put names to 25 soldiers out of the hundreds believed to have been buried in unmarked graves at a military cemetery in New York's Hudson Valley during the American Revolution.
"Having names of folks makes it more real to people when they're thinking about getting involved and supporting us," said Lance Ashworth, president of the Friends of the Fishkill Supply Depot, which is working to preserve the cemetery site.
The deaths occurred between 1776 and 1783, when the Fishkill Supply Depot was a bustling military outpost and the main supply source for the northern portion of Gen. George Washington's Continental Army. Located in Dutchess County just a few miles inland from the Hudson River's east bank, 60 miles north of New York City, the depot was a sprawling complex of barracks, stables, blacksmith shops, hospitals, armories and stockades.
Thousands of soldiers passed through Fishkill during the war. Many, perhaps more than 1,000, are believed to have died there, although an accurate number is unknown. Some died from battle wounds suffered elsewhere, but the majority of the soldiers buried at Fishkill died from illness or disease.
Over the past two-plus centuries, farms, homes and businesses have encroached on the old depot site. By the late 20th century, suburban sprawl had whittled the cemetery site down to a tiny patch of woods bounded by a highway, shopping mall, gas station and private property.
A few years ago, local officials and preservationists launched an effort to protect the last remaining untouched, privately owned parcel believed to hold the graves of hundreds of soldiers. In 2008, archaeologists used radar to confirm that the southern tip of the property alone contained the graves of more than 300 soldiers.