Niagara Gazette

Local News

September 3, 2013

Niagara-Wheatfield officials ready to tackle challenges

(Continued)

Niagara Gazette — Her intention through the process is to forget about the past. The district has seen a multimillion-dollar surplus evaporate in a handful of years, which has seen former superintendent Carl Militello retire amid calls for his dismissal, a proposed 9.9 percent property tax levy increase defeated and an interim superintendent and an interim business manager attempt to keep the district afloat before this past year's budget proposal again failed at the polls.

The mentality throughout the district, as more than 80 employees have been laid off or had employment reduced in the past two years, has been one of survival. Fusco said it has to change.

"When you're in survivalmode, you need to get to the next level, where there's more hope," she said.

Some hope may be arriving in the form of a full-time business manager. The district identified its choice to take over the district's finances, as the school board approved Allison Brady to lead the money department.

Brady, who'll begin Sept. 30 because she needs to provide 30 days notice to her current employer, the Barker Central School District, will receive a prorated salary of $107,000 for the year.

As part of her employment, Brady will also be responsible for 15 percent of her health insurance premium, with the other 85 percent covered by the district.

"Her knowledge of school finances is second to none," board President Steve Sabo said.

The board will hold its next regular meeting at 7 p.m. tonight in the adult learning center of the high school, 2292 Saunders Settlement Road, Lewiston.

Contact reporter Timothy Chipp at 282-2311, ext. 2251 or follow on Twitter @timchipp.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News
Featured Ads
Seasonal Content
House Ads
AP Video
Ariz. Inmate Dies 2 Hours After Execution Began Crash Kills Teen Pilot Seeking World Record LeBron James Sends Apology Treat to Neighbors Raw: Funeral for Man Who Died in NYPD Custody Migrants Back in Honduras After US Deports Israeli American Reservist Torn Over Return Raw: ISS Cargo Ship Launches in Kazakhstan Six Indicted in StubHub Hacking Scheme Former NTSB Official: FAA Ban 'prudent' EPA Gets Hip With Kardashian Tweet Bodies of MH17 Victims Arrive in the Netherlands Biden Decries Voting Restrictions in NAACP Talk Broncos Owner Steps Down Due to Alzheimer's US, UN Push Shuttle Diplomacy in Mideast Trump: DC Hotel Will Be Among World's Best Plane Crashes in Taiwan, Dozens Feared Dead Republicans Hold a Hearing on IRS Lost Emails Raw: Mourners Gather As MH17 Bodies Transported Robot Parking Valet Creates Stress-free Travel Raw: Fight Breaks Out in Ukraine Parliament
Opinion
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page
Poll

Do you think cigarette sales to non-Native American customers should be taxed on reservations?

Yes. Items should be taxed like they are everywhere else.
No, the indian reservations are sovereign land and they are selling them on their land.
Not up to me. Native Americans decide the rules on their land.
Don't care. Smoking isn't good for you.
     View Results