Niagara Gazette — LOCKPORT — A Niagara County Court judge has given a Falls man, accused of shooting a 2-year-old child in the face, three weeks to decide if he wants to take a plea offer from prosecutors or go to trial.
Judge Matthew J. Murphy III said Willie “Boo” Scott has until Sept. 9 to decide if he wanted to plead guilty to a reduced charge of attempted first-degree assault. Scott, 32, has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree assault, first-degree criminal use of a firearm and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon in connection with the shooting that took place in the parking lot of the Hometown Market at 17th Street and Pierce Avenue on Nov. 27.
Scott has denied any involvement in the shooting of the now 3-year-old child.
A trial in the case is set for Sept. 23.
Investigators have said Scott was shooting at a man sitting in the front seat of the car. Instead of hitting his target, Scott’s bullets slammed into the rear door of the vehicle, striking the child who was sitting in the rear seat.
The little girl suffered “two gun shots directly to the face.” She spent more than three weeks in Women and Children’s Hospital in Buffalo, undergoing at least two surgeries to remove a bullet and bullet fragments from her face.
Scott’s defense lawyer, Earl Key, had asked Murphy to dismiss the charges against his client, claiming his rights to a fair trial had been violated. Murphy disagreed and rejected the request.