Niagara Gazette

Local News

March 5, 2013

Falls demolition plans are on target

Niagara Gazette — The city’s plans to knock down more than 50 houses in targeted areas this year are off to a good start.

Seth Piccirillo, the city’s director of Community Development, told the city council that a combination of city, state and federal funds will allow his department to aggressively and strategically target blight in some key areas of the city.

“We’re on target to bid or execute our first downtown demolition this spring,” Piccirillo said during an administrative update at the 4 p.m. session of Monday’s council meeting. “We have a total of $1.1 million for demolitions.”

Piccirillo said his department will put out smaller bid packages for demolition contractors this year.

“We want to get away from larger contracts to help drive competition and to lower costs,” he said.

Piccirillo urged the council to pass a resolution to award an asbestos monitoring contract — which council members voted unanimously to approve — so that his department can continue to hit target dates for the demolition schedule.

“Now we can (put out a request for proposals) and, weather permitting, take down the houses in spring, summer,” Piccirillo said.

Councilman Sam Fruscione, who has said that demolitions are essential to stabilizing the city, is pleased that plans for targeted demolitions are on schedule.

“Seth (Piccirillo) is doing exactly what we expect him to do, which is to coordinate and move through the demolition process as quick as we can,” Fruscione said.

In other council news:

• The council voted down a measure to accept a challenge grant from the John R. Oishei Foundation by a 3-2 vote. The organization pledged to match the council for every dollar in funding that it restored to the Niagara Arts and Cultural Center. The council voted last month to deny an appropriations agreement that would have allowed Mayor Paul Dyster’s administration to execute a contract with the organization and deliver the $30,000 in funding outlined in the adopted budget. In both votes Council Chairman Glenn Choolokian and council members Robert Anderson Jr. and Sam Fruscione voted no while council members Kristen Grandinetti and Charles Walker voted yes.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News
Featured Ads
Seasonal Content
House Ads
AP Video
US Ready to Slap New Sanctions on Russia Kerry: Not Worried About Israeli Criticism Boater Rescued From Edge of Kentucky Dam Girl Struck by Plane on Florida Beach Dies Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating
Opinion
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page
Poll

Do you think cigarette sales to non-Native American customers should be taxed on reservations?

Yes. Items should be taxed like they are everywhere else.
No, the indian reservations are sovereign land and they are selling them on their land.
Not up to me. Native Americans decide the rules on their land.
Don't care. Smoking isn't good for you.
     View Results