Niagara Gazette —
"The city has been very responsive," Gioia said.
Choolokian said that the council had not received a copy of the release by the time he was reached by the Gazette late Monday afternoon, but that he would review the proposal and discuss the match grant with his fellow council members.
Mayor Paul Dyster said last week he felt the funding cut was a political attack on him. Dyster was on the board of directors of the NACC and still supports the organization through donations.
He said the foundation has shown that it believes in the mission of the NACC.
"They've demonstrated in the past that they believe in this place," Dyster said.
Dyster said the arts organization provides a place for artists to work toward making a living, but also takes care of the 90-year-old former Niagara Falls High School building.
"It's a very large and prominent building and an anchor for the Pine Avenue business community," Dyster said.
Kathie Kudela, the NACC's volunteer executive director, said the continuing support of the foundation shows that it understands the value the arts organization has created for the community.
"They helped us move up a whole nother notch in terms of sustainability and development," Kudela said.
Kudela hopes the council will respond quickly, as money is getting tight for the organization, which maintains the 180,000-square-foot building.
"We hope the council responds to the challenge as soon as possible," Kudela said. "We have bills to pay and it's been a cold winter."