Niagara Gazette

Local News

February 28, 2013

Buffalo Avenue detours forcing new traffic patterns

Niagara Gazette — Crews are resuming work on the long-awaited reconstruction of a portion of Buffalo Avenue.

Engineering consultants working on the project announced this week that detours will be back in effect starting Monday as CATCO of Alden, the firm awarded the nearly $10 million contract for the reconstruction project, attends to drainage system and sanitary sewer work that must be done before actual road repairs can begin. The reconstruction effort covers the particularly rough section of Buffalo Avenue between Veterans Drive and 63rd Street. 

The revised traffic pattern starting Monday is as follows:

• Buffalo Avenue traffic between 56th Street and the I-190 will be restricted to "one way westbound." The I-190 Thruway access ramps will remain open.

• Currently in place, the section of Buffalo Avenue between 56th Street and Hyde Park Boulevard will remain closed to vehicular traffic. Access will be maintained at all times for local traffic and emergency vehicles in this area. 

• Eastbound Buffalo Avenue traffic will be detoured to the north at Hyde Park Boulevard to Packard Road, Niagara Falls Boulevard and then south on the I-190 back to Buffalo Avenue.

• Buffalo Avenue between Veterans Drive and Hyde Park Boulevard will be open to traffic. 

The project is being overseen by Clough Harbour & Associates and Urban Engineers of New York. A spokesman for the project administrators said the new traffic pattern will be in place "until further notice."  

The second phase of the project, the actual road reconstruction and paving work, will begin later this year. Under its contract with the city, CATCO has until Jan. 14, 2014 to complete the entire project.

The city is responsible for 5 percent of the overall project cost, or roughly $49,900. The remaining 95 percent is being funded by the state's Department of Transportation.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local News
Featured Ads
Seasonal Content
House Ads
AP Video
Raw: Japanese Soldiers Storm Beach in Exercises Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA Two Women Narrowly Avoid Being Hit by Train In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast New Sanctions on Key Sectors of Russian Economy Crayola Announces Family Attraction in Orlando US Ready to Slap New Sanctions on Russia Kerry: Not Worried About Israeli Criticism Boater Rescued From Edge of Kentucky Dam Girl Struck by Plane on Florida Beach Dies Rodents Rampant in Gardens Around Louvre House to Vote on Slimmed-down Bill for Border Looming Demand Could Undercut Flight Safety Raw: 2 Shells Hit Fuel Tank at Gaza Power Plant Raw: Massive Explosions From Airstrikes in Gaza Giant Ketchup Bottle Water Tower Up for Sale Easier Nuclear Construction Promises Fall Short Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue
House Ads
Night & Day
Twitter News
Follow us on twitter
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
Front page

Do you think cigarette sales to non-Native American customers should be taxed on reservations?

Yes. Items should be taxed like they are everywhere else.
No, the indian reservations are sovereign land and they are selling them on their land.
Not up to me. Native Americans decide the rules on their land.
Don't care. Smoking isn't good for you.
     View Results