Niagara Gazette — A citizens group that has led the fight to stop the expansion of a hazardous waste landfill in the Town of Porter will hold a press conference today to discuss their disappointment with a decision made earlier this week by a group of Niagara County lawmakers.
Members of Residents for Responsible Government plan to gather at 12:15 p.m. at the Palace Theatre in Lockport to air their concerns about the Niagara County Legislature's decision to delay a contract extension with an environmental attorney who has for years provided legal advice to opponents of the proposed expansion of the CWM Chemical Services' landfill.
"This is a regional issue," said RRG member and Lewiston resident Wendy Swearingen, referring to the proposed landfill expansion. "It's not just the residents of Lewiston and Porter. Everybody is going to be affected by this."
The scheduling of the press conference follows Tuesday's decision by the legislature to send a resolution calling for the extension of the attorney's contract to its Administration Committee. The move was made to give lawmakers an opportunity to meet next month with the lawyer, Gary Abraham of Allegany, who has been helping to fight the landfill's expansion since 2005 under a joint agreement covered by both the county and the Town of Lewiston.
RRG President April Fideli said members of her group are hoping today's press conference will raise awareness about the need for the attorney and the health, science and legal experts who are working with him in preparation for upcoming New York State Department of Environmental Conservation hearings on the proposed landfill expansion.
"It's all been halted because there's no funds going to them," Fideli said, referring to Abraham and his support team. "Any day the DEC could come out and say this is when the process starts and, right now, the people in Niagara County have no one to represent them."